Sunday, August 6, 2017

Sci Fi Top 100, #7: "Brazil" (1985)

Movie Stats:
Released 1985 (France)
British, in English
Director - Terry Gilliam
Stars - Jonathan Pryce, Kim Greist, Robert De Niro

Plot Summary:
In a dystopian future where bureaucracy is king, Sam Lowry (Pryce), a man with low ambition but romantic dreams, falls in love with a stranger (Jill Layton, played by Kim Greist) and becomes embroiled with potential terrorist Harry Tuttle (De Niro).

Warnings:
Violence; gore; blue language; brief, partial female nudity (breasts seen through a sheer shirt).

Bad Stuff:
This is one of those movies that I know is supposed to be funny but which I don’t find particularly amusing. I think I smiled maybe once or twice.

It’s just too much for me. Too many moving parts, too much ridiculousness, too loud, too many story lines that seem superfluous.

Good Stuff:
I enjoy it as a social commentary on the tyranny of bureaucracy and complacency.

The cameo from Bob Hoskins (as HVAC repairman Spoor) was probably my favorite part of the whole film.

I like its dark edge.

The Verdict:
This film definitely isn’t my cup of tea. While I feel that it had some interesting things to say, it was too over-the-top for me. My predominant feelings while watching it were boredom and annoyance. I kept thinking to myself, “Just get to it already!” So much of it seemed pointless. I feel so “meh” about it that I’ve had a hard time getting around to writing this review. I just kept putting it off and putting it off. Anyway, I do recognize that most of my problems with it are more of a personal taste issue. I can see why other people like it. Do you typically enjoy Terry Gilliam comedies? If so, then you’ll probably like this film.

I give it 3 stars.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I'm pretty sure I watched this. I remember liking the level of detail of things and nothing at all about the plot. Congrats on getting through the review. :-)

balyien said...

It certainly is very detailed!