Monday, August 21, 2017

Sci Fi Top 100, #2: "Blade Runner" (1982)

Note: We own the special edition Blu Ray of this, which includes multiple versions of the film. I chose to watch the original U.S. theatrical release.

Movie Stats:
Released 1982 (USA)
American, British & Hong Kongian, in English (multiple foreign languages, mostly translated)
Director - Ridley Scott
Stars - Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young

Plot Summary:
In a dystopian near future, the Tyrell corporation has created very human-like robots called replicants, but after the replicants revolt, they’re outlawed. When a group of renegade replicants return to Earth, ex-blade runner (a police officer specifically tasked with killing replicants) Rick Deckard (Ford) is brought in to hunt them down. Hauer co-stars as Roy Batty, the leader of the renegade replicants, and Young as Rachael, Rick’s love interest.

Warnings:
Minor blue language (including a racial slur); violence; gore; female nudity (breasts only).

Bad Stuff:
The pace is quite slow.

Um, that kissing scene is kind of rapey. I’m still not completely sure that Rachael wanted it. It made both me and my husband uncomfortable.

It’s got some weird stuff in it, the kind of weird stuff I don’t really like.

Good Stuff:
It’s visually stunning. They digitally remastered it for the Blu Ray & it looks fantastic.

I absolutely love Rutger Hauer in this. Perfect casting.

I like the story. As with all great sci fi, it asks important questions about morality and the meaning of life.

The Verdict:
I find it a bit dull and weird, but otherwise I like this film. It looks great, the acting is good, and the storytelling is sparse. It does more showing than telling, even with a voiceover, which is good. I think it’s very successful at humanizing the replicants. [SPOILER-y] Rachael is the one whose story is supposed to tug at your heart strings [SPOILER] but I really felt for Roy as well. He’s a villain with blood on his hands & he’s remorseless about it, and yet I couldn't help but feel sad for his fate. We’re all just living creatures, struggling to survive as long as we can. It moved me.

I give it 4 stars.

3 comments:

Patricia said...

"It’s got some weird stuff in it, the kind of weird stuff I don’t really like."

Perhaps this is why I wasn't such a fan of this film when I watched it. It's probably been 20 years, though. I could probably take a second look.

I notice that Blade Runner 2049 didn't get released this summer after all. Good sign or bad sign, I wonder. Usually it's a bad sign, but maybe they wanted to hold it so it would come out with the prestige films?

Patricia said...

I didn't notice this was #2. Number TWO?????? This list and I disagree.

balyien said...

I don't feel excited about the sequel AT ALL. I'm very anti sequels that come after a long period of time. I mean, I'm not a big fan of sequels in general, but when they come more than 5 years later, all I can think is, "I don't believe you truly had anything else to say. This is clearly a cash grab." If I never see it, I think I'll be okay.

I also disagree with the list about its placement.