Monday, July 1, 2013

Final Reflections on June 2013


I’m not coming up with a whole lot to say about June 2013. It wasn’t a bad month by any stretch of the imagination. It wasn’t the best month of my life either.

There were a lot of anniversaries for me in June, all in one week. The husband and I celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary, although “celebrated” is a generous word for how it went down. We were both sick, so all of our plans for it kind of just fell through. We eventually went out for dinner, but that was about it. Two days after our wedding anniversary was the second anniversary of my mother’s death. And somewhere in there was our first anniversary of moving to Dallas (neither of us is sure exactly when we landed in Dallas; all of that happened way too fast).

I spent most of the month writing like crazy. I started a new novel about six weeks or so ago. This one is intended to be shorter than my others, around 70K or so, and I’m nearly done. I should finish in the next few days. I also started a different new novel over this past weekend. It’s streaking hot. I anticipate finishing it just as quickly as my last one.

We also did some fun stuff in June. We visited both the Perot Science Museum and the Dallas World Aquarium for the first time. I also got to attend not one but TWO U.S. Open Cup (America’s oldest soccer tournament) games. The second of those featured my team, the Portland Timbers. It was a great game. I had a blast!

On the national level, shenanigans went down in the Texas capital re: abortion. Anyone who knows me well should know how I felt about all of that. At the same time, the U.S. Supreme Court released rulings striking down both DOMA and Prop 8. There aren’t enough words in the English language to describe how thrilled I was by that. If consenting adults want to get married, I’m all for it. Love is love and it’s AWESOME.

Other than that, I feel like we have a lot of things brewing in our household. I’m not sure when any of them will become something for me to comment on. Knowing my life, they’ll probably all come to a head at the same time, haha. I’ll let you know when they do.

Half of 2013 is already gone. It hardly seems possible. If you're stopping by to read, why don't you tell me how this year has been going for you?

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Great review. It sounds like a very productive and milestone sort of month.

My June has entirely been taken up by mental preparation for my 20 year high school reunion in that I read large sections of the journals I wrote during high school. That was incredibly unbalancing, but very fun, in a painful sort of way. The month ended by my attending the reunion, which was so much fun.

balyien said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting your letter describing the reunion!