Sunday, June 30, 2013

Family Pictures: A Study in Plaid

About two weeks ago, I posted a photo tribute to my mom on the second anniversary of her death. If you're too lazy to scroll down the page, haha, you can read the post here. The last picture I included in that post, from 1970, featured my mom in a pretty rad plaid coat. Here it is:


Later, I went through my own childhood photo albums, trying to see if I had a picture of my mother holding me as a baby (sadly, I do not). But I stumbled across this gem:


I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere between 2 and 3 in this photo, so this is circa 1977-78. Note how I'm wearing a plaid coat not unlike my mom's in the first picture, complete with faux-fur collar. However, I also got a matching faux-fur hat. Take that, Mom!

In all seriousness, I love this photo. I love this coat and its little matching hat. I love that my mom, for some reason, always posed us in front of this closet door to take photos. I have countless photos of my brothers and I posed in front of this closet door, haha. Why? Who knows!

If only I had a picture of me and Mom wearing our plaid coats together. :)

4 comments:

Lauren said...

You are so adorable!

balyien said...

Thanks! I bet you were cute as heck as a kid!

Patricia said...

I love both of those coats. I wonder if someone made them, or if they were a mother/daughter set.

And my mother would always pose us in front of the forsythia bush outside our house. But I, today, often pose in the corner of the house with the closet door when I need to take a picture of an outfit. It's one of the few places in the house where there isn't a lot of stuff on the walls that would distract from the picture. So maybe that's what motivated your mom.

balyien said...

My mother wasn't much of a seamstress, but I wouldn't be surprised to discover that someone else in the family made those coats.

And yes, I figure she was going for the "uncluttered" aspect of the door, but it's such a small closet that it's not easy to pose in front of it without catching the rooms to either side (living room on one side, kitchen on the other) in the shot. Also, who wants an ugly door in all their pictures? I'll take a forsythia bush. Lol.