Friday, July 26, 2013

Postcard Project: 1920s

Note: I don't feel like typing "[sic]" a bunch of times, so readers should assume that all spelling/grammatical errors are copied verbatim from the authors of these cards.


Date actually unknown. My guess is early 1920s based on
the sent-to address. Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Dear [redacted], I rec. your letter. I will answer it latter. I am just sending this card to wish you a happy Easter and many more. Our teachers name is Miss Bednarck. I am 11 will be 12 on the 4th of April. I am in the 8th grade must close with love Verona."

I don't know who Verona was. My guess is that this card was part of a school pen pal project of some sort, as the girls (my grandma and Verona) seem to be introducing themselves to one another.

March 28, 1921. Address slightly illegible.
Guessing March based on reference to Easter.
Addressed to a family member. Text below.

"Friend [redacted], Rec. your letter am kept quite busy now. As it seems it will warm up at last. Well tomorrow is Easter so we had aught to have good weather. I guess Bill will write to you later. Talk about Xmas presents well I got a whole lot of good ones. We [?] rather dull. Did you think I needed one? Must close now & get busy as ever. Amanda." 

Oddly, I don't know the male family member that this is addressed to. It's not my great-grandpa or one of my grandma's brothers. My assumption is that it was either my great-great-grandpa (unlikely) or one of great-grandpa's brothers. I don't know who Amanda was or what the heck she's talking about.


June 6, 1921
Addressed to Grandma's elder sister. Text below.

Scribbled above the actual greeting: "Please tell Margaret our address. I have not got much time. Hoping she will not be angry. I will write to her next [illegible]."

Then the greeting: "Dear [redacted], We have now moved and are fixed up just a little [illegible]. I will tell you our address. Have not got much time. From Martha Krause [address follows]."

This card was written in pencil, so it's very difficult to read 92 years later. I don't know who Martha Krause was, but assume she was a childhood friend. Same goes for "Margaret," who I know wasn't Grandma's other sister.

I wonder why Martha Krause had so very little time? I actually find it a bit amusing. Was there a bomb that she needed to go diffuse?

October 26, 1921. No text on back.
Addressed to Grandpa.


June 11, 1922.
Addressed to Grandpa. Text below.

"I am planning to go bathing here soon. It is only a short distance from where I am staying. H. Clippinger."

Once again, I don't know who the sender is. A family friend would be my best guess. I wonder what the "H" stood for. I prefer to think it was "Horatio" or something equally unusual.


2 comments:

Patricia said...

These are fun. I love the lithographs. Can you remind me where these are being sent to? Michigan?

balyien said...

Grandpa grew up in Michigan. Grandma mostly grew up in Wisconsin. I think her family moved to Michigan some time in the mid-20s. I don't have any postcards from the 20s later than 1922. The ones of hers I have in the 30s were all sent to Michigan.