Thursday, July 11, 2013

Postcard Project, 1910s Part 1

June 11, 1911. No text on back, except it is
addressed to Miss Lucille Dall. No postage.

I have no idea who Miss Lucille Dall was. I don't know who any of these children are. The postcard is dated before my grandpa's birth (he was the oldest child in his family). My grandma would've already been alive but only a year old. There is a slight possibility that one of these children is an older sibling of hers.

June 19, 1912. Addressed to Grandpa.
Appears to be from his Sunday School. No text on back.

June 18, 1913. Addressed to Grandpa.
Says: "Love and best wishes from the Pres. S.S."

I'm going to reasonably assume that means "Presbyterian Sunday School." Didn't know Grandpa was ever Presbyterian.


July 20, 1914. Addressed to Grandpa.
Says: "Love from your aunt Helen."

I don't know which side of the family Aunt Helen was on. I never knew any of that generation; they all died before I was born (I think).


December 19, 1914. Addressed to Grandpa.
Says: "I wish you a Merry Xmas from your Aunt Helen."

I promise the text on these gets a little more interesting after the 1910s. My grandparents were only kids during that decade, after all.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Two observations.

They write very little on the postcard and let the picture do the talking. Interesting. I tend to shove the back full of writing.

Also, I love that "today" used to have a hyphen.

balyien said...

Some of the later postcards (from when they're adults) have a lot more written on them, including ones that are completely full of writing. But certainly not all of them.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do with the postcards that have wildly inappropriate, embarrassing racist images on them. I think I'll have to censor those.