Monday, July 11, 2016

Up with U.S. Geography: New Hampshire

State Name:
New Hampshire

Capital:
Concord

Date of Entry:
June 21, 1788

Maps:

Map of the USA. New Hampshire outlined in dark ink,
shaded, and with an arrow pointing to it.


A close-up of New Hampshire & its neighbors.

Neighbors:
Vermont, Canada, Maine, Massachusetts

Water Borders:
Connecticut River, Atlantic Ocean

Total Area:
9,349 square miles

Five Largest Cities:
Manchester, Nashua, Concord, Derry, Dover**

Famous Geographical Point:
Merrimack River

State Nickname:
The Granite State. New Hampshire has extensive granite quarries. It's also the state rock.

Famous Person:
Sarah Silverman, comedian & actress

Book Set In/About:
A Separate Peace by John Knowles

A coming-of-age tale about boys at a boarding school during the beginning of WWII.

Movie Set In/About:
"Our Town" (1940), directed by Sam Wood

Life, love, and death in small town New Hampshire.

Headline of the Day:
"Air Quality Alert Issued for Parts of New Hampshire" on WMUR Manchester.


**After looking at several sources, I couldn't find a consensus on what two cities round out the "five largest" list. Some list Dover over Derry. Some don't list Derry at all. Some don't list Dover. Very confusing, and not an issue I've come across before. I went with Wikipedia's numbers.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I've driven through this state! On the very first vacation I took as an adult. (Okay, really it was the very first vacation I went on as an adult where the destination wasn't to visit a friend as the ultimate goal.) We went to Lake Champlain in Vermont and had to drive through New Hampshire (from Massachusetts) to get there.

I love how small the New England states are. And yet they tend to have the same number of counties as the big states in the west. It's like they are shrinky-dink versions of states. But shrinky dinks that were there first. So maybe they are more like those tiny sponges you put in water and they get bigger?

balyien said...

Haha, I like that. It absolutely astounds me how large counties are here in SoCal (not sure if it's the same in NorCal). Like, I live approx. 40 miles from San Diego and I'm still in the same county as it. Mind blowing. LA county is the same way.

I just looked it up. San Diego County is 4,526 square miles. The county I grew up in (sadly in the news recently due to a shooting) is 1,581 square miles.