Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo, Final Reflections


Camp NaNoWriMo is well and truly over. As predicted, I did finish on time, coming in at just over 55,000 words on Wednesday of last week.

I found the process more difficult this time than I did last November. I’m not sure if it’s because I was working on two things at once, or because I had a job this time, or because this story was simply not as easy for me to write. Perhaps it was a combination of all three.

At any rate, I’m pleased with the core of the story, but it is going to require a lot more revision than the first book in the series. There is one chapter in particular with which I’m unhappy. I’m also a little “iffy” on a certain aspect of the story (a relationship) and I need some time to mull it over before I draw conclusions. So far, I haven’t re-read a single word of it. I need distance from it for now.

However, none of that is intended as a slight against the experience. I had a great time. I was really proud of my ability to stick with it despite no longer having the support of a writing group. I’m definitely planning on doing the “real” NaNo in November, when I will write the last book in this fantasy series.

Writing fatigue was prevalent last week so I took a lot of days off. I didn’t reach the previously mentioned goal for the fantasy romance. All I wrote was the one new chapter (chapter 15), but it ended up being twice as long as I’d anticipated.

ALSO, I started the werewolf romance. I literally couldn’t stop myself. I tried to, but damn if that story doesn’t want to come out. I’ve already written three and a half chapters, around 10,000 words. I’m really excited about it & am looking forward to the process. I think it’s a good story.

This means that I currently have three works in progress (WIPs) and two completed novels that require revision. As I was walking the dog last night, I realized I’m going to have to maintain NaNo levels of writing for months if I want to get all of this done by the end of the year. The thought kind of scares me, but I'm pretty sure I’m up for the challenge.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I'm pretty sure you are up for the challenge too.

I think it's great you have so much to work on and also fabulous that you couldn't help yourself writing your new project. It sounds great.