Friday, September 28, 2012

So Dawn Goes Down to Day

This is my new soccer scarf.


First and foremost, I am a Portland Timbers fan, and will be until the day I die. But this scarf was given to me by a friend. It belonged to his father, Randy, who was tragically killed in an accident earlier this month. As an adult, I haven't had much occasion to meet my friends' parents, but I had met Randy. We bonded quickly over our mutual love for soccer and books. I was very fond of him.

My friend felt that the scarf was best given to me, that Randy would have wanted me to have it. I was happy to accept it, and am even happier to begin rooting for the Dynamo as my second team. Every time I cheer for them, I'll be thinking of Randy. What better way to honor a friend who has been lost?

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Well, if you must cheer for another team, it's good to do it with a good scarf.

In other news, do you know that poem? I ask because at the 10 Years in Portland Trivia Party that was the fill in and if you know that poem, you would have cleaned up.

I suspect you would have cleaned up at that party anyway. :-)

balyien said...

I was introduced to that poem by the book The Outsiders more than 20 years ago. I've loved it ever since. "Stay golden, Ponyboy!" I definitely would've cleaned up in that trivia category. :)