Monday, August 20, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo Update, Week 3


A heavy-duty case of writer’s block severely hampered my progress in week 3 of Camp.

Okay, so it wasn’t so much writer’s block as it was “What the heck am I doing?” This is a common problem with my writing. I frequently know where I’m going, just not how I’m going to get there. Annoying.

Eventually, I figured out the way forward, although it may cause problems farther down the line in the story (I’m not sure yet). In the end, I wrote about 10,000 words. That may seem like a lot to everyone else, but I fell 3,000 short of my goal for the week, so I was disappointed.

Fortunately, I did reach my weekly goal for my other novel: I rewrote chapter 12, and wrote a brand new chapter 13. Upon further reflection, I think the rest of my rewrites will play out like this: massive, although not complete, rewrite of 14; new but brief chapter 15; and minimal rewrite of 16. After that, it will be brand new material until the end of the book. I don’t know how much I’ll work on this novel this week as I try to catch up on the NaNo novel. We’ll see how it plays out.

I also started kicking around a new idea this week for a gay werewolf paranormal romance story. Not sure how I feel about it. The concept might be a little heavy (no, really) but I’m intrigued by it. Hmm.

Lastly, and this is a complete non sequitur, but I have to tell someone that I’ve become obsessed with the band Neon Trees. I love Tyler Glenn’s voice. 

I’m a little worried for my mental health.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I love that damn "everybody talks" song. LOVE IT. In fact, I have my love for it reserved for a short gushy essay when I have no time to write very deeply.

I'm also interested in your gay paranormal etc. etc. concept.

Good work, despite not meeting your goals.