Thursday, August 16, 2012

An Ode to Menial Labor


All I ever wanted to do was write.

Until earlier this year, I spent my whole entire adult life trying to find a “career” or “job” that I actually enjoyed. I was miserable. Finally, I had to give up and admit to myself that it wasn’t working. If all I ever wanted to do was write, I realized, then that’s what I need to be doing.

When the husband landed his current job here in Dallas, he would have been perfectly fine with me not working at all. However, I wanted a job, both to supplement our income and to get me out of the house. I decided to search for something part-time and low-stress. You know, something that wouldn’t distract from my writing. Within a couple of weeks, I had landed my current job: working the afternoons at a shipping store.

I’ve gotten more than a few side-eyes when I tell people where I work. I understand this reaction. I’m well educated, intelligent, and knowledgeable, all of which comes through in conversation. So I get that my job confuses people. What’s a person like you doing working a job like that? I can practically see the thought forming in their heads. So I frequently end up explaining my situation, like I did for you just now.

And while all of what I explained above is true, there’s another truth that I don’t often share with people: I actually love my “menial labor” job.

I don’t see what’s not to love about it. It’s a quick, short drive from home. I only work four hours every weekday afternoon. The time flies by. My co-workers are nice, interesting, and a pleasure to speak to and work with. Most of our customers are regulars. We know about their lives. They’re rarely angry or rude or mean-spirited. In fact, it’s a little bit like Cheers, only with P.O. boxes instead of beer. My work also requires critical thinking and problem solving skills, so it’s not like I’m not using my brain. At the end of every day, rather than being stressed out, I usually have a funny anecdote to take home with me.

Honestly, I feel very lucky. I may not make much money, but this is probably the most fun I’ve ever had making it. Life is pretty good these days. It seems to me like it can only keep getting better from here.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yay Jan! This topic is part of a larger issue I've been thinking a lot about over the last year or so. It's so easy to get trapped by expectations - including one's own - about what you "should" be doing in life. Good for you for doing what you most want to and finding the way it works best for you.

Patricia said...

I've come to the conclusion that even if I didn't have to work, I would probably work 15-20 hours per week. I'm not disciplined enough to form my days without an outside motivator, plus, it would give me some contact with the world outside my head. And your job sounds quite delightful.

Earlier this year I read "Kindred" by Octavia Butler and her main character purposely works day labor, despite her college education, because she doesn't want her job to interfere with her writing. Maybe you are like her. Be careful not to get sucked back in time, though. It happened to her so it might happen to you.

balyien said...

Amy - You too!!!

P - I hate it when I get sucked back in time. It's soooo inconvenient. ;)

HSofia said...

If I didn't have the kidlet, I would do the same. Besides, people are interesting. Life is interesting. So many ideas for writing out there in the world.

balyien said...

H, that's true. Just this week alone, I've had some seriously wacky and interesting conversations. I'm never bored at this job. Maybe when the kidlet goes off to school you could find some part-time work?