Monday, August 13, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo Update, Week 2


Week 2 of Camp NaNoWriMo was a rousing success.

My goal had been to hit 25,000 words by Sunday (yesterday). I reached this, coming in at 25,064. In theory, this puts me at the halfway point. However, I’m guessing that, like my last NaNo novel, this one will come in over 50K (the last one was just under 60K), so I have a ways to go.

I took an impromptu day off on Saturday. This left me playing catch-up yesterday. I feel like I could have gotten more done if I hadn’t skipped Saturday, so I’m considering writing about 1,000 today. Since I need to get some other things done – house cleaning, haircut – we’ll see if I can also squeeze in 1,000 words before I go to work at 2.

Work on the fantasy/romance was also good. I revised three chapters: former 5/now 9, former 6/now 10, and former 7/now 11. All of them required some extensive, but not complete, rewriting.

This week I plan to do some major rewrites on former 8/now 12. I believe I’ve also decided to add another new chapter, one that will come directly after the new 12. After that, everything left in the story will probably have to be almost completely rewritten. Which is kind of ugh, but I guess them’s the breaks when you want to produce something good. So to recap, for this week: rewrite 12, write new 13, then we’ll see after that.

Still really pleased with my project and feeling pretty good, although I think I might need to start laying off the caffeine because I haven’t been sleeping well.

Onwards and upwards!

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I noticed that when I was pretty excited about what I was writing I wasn't sleeping well either. I'd like to find that happy medium of "yay! writing is going well!" and "yay! Sleeping just fine at night."

Good job on your writing and revising. Especially the revising, which is not as much fun, in my book, as the writing.

balyien said...

Thanks! You're right, revising is usually kind of a drag, but these revisions are so extensive that it's almost like I'm writing the story all over again. *Sigh.* I keep telling myself, at least I'm making it better!