Monday, September 23, 2013

Postcard Project: 1930s, Part 5

As always, all grammatical/spelling mistakes are copied verbatim from the postcards.

August 28, 1934
Addressed to my great aunt Vi. Text below.

"Dear Vi: I thought I might as well write you while I was at it. Having a swell time working here. Seen Alice lately? Of course its sort of lonesome here without the Buick & the gang. Vera."

I'm not sure why Grandma frequently had postcards in her collection that belonged to other family members (in particular her sister Violet). Perhaps she was the family archivist? The almost begrudging tone of the first sentence cracks me up.

October 30, 1934
Addressed to Grandpa. Text below.

"[Redacted]: I received a card from Rev. Ray Clearwaters and he will be our speaker. We got Bessie Todd from First Church to put out the Annuals. They are done. Don had no machine and I was so all firen [?] busy at that time. Bessie wasn't and she is good that way. Everything is O.K. now I believe isn't it? Will be in Old B.H. Friday - Alice."

This is one of my favorite cards picture-wise and one of my least favorite content-wise. I believe it is the last card from the mysterious Alice. I'm kind of glad she goes out with yet another confusing statement ("so all firen busy") and, seemingly, some snark at poor Bessie Todd.


July 8, 1936
Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Hello Kid! Am having a good time here in the Loop now. Be good. I'll be seeing you soon. Miss me yet. as Ever Mary."

I wonder what Mary (or her husband) did that she always seemed to be traveling so much, especially during the Great Depression.

August 1, 1936
Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Dear kiddo: This certainly is some swell joint. Wishing you were here. Mary."

I agree, Mary. That looks like a swell joint. 

August 29, 1936
Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Hi kid: Spending the weekend here visiting the exposition. Rode over on a steamer from Detroit and it surely was wonderful. Mary."

Call me crazy, but I think that riding a steamer from Detroit to Cleveland sounds like a lot of fun.



2 comments:

Patricia said...

I love all of these. The colors are great and the messages are very interesting. My favorite is the electric fountain.

balyien said...

This is a pretty good batch picture-wise. I really like them all except for the Cleveland card.