Thursday, September 19, 2013

On Loneliness: My Upbringing


You’ll have to be patient with me on this series. Writing about this stuff is a struggle for me. It’s hard to order my thoughts into coherent paragraphs. Also, thinking about all of it brings up a lot of bad feelings. The series will be finished eventually, however, no matter how much I occasionally consider abandoning it.

I come from a very small family. For most of my childhood, it was just me, my mom, and my two older brothers against the world.

My parents divorced before I turned two. My dad was never around much after that, not that that’s necessarily a bad thing. People occasionally say to me, “You never mention your dad.” That’s because he’s a self-absorbed alcoholic and a pathological liar. He’s fairly harmless but essentially a waste of space. He paid the child support and, until his mom died, saw us maybe once or twice per year. Other than that, he’s AWOL to this day.

Both of my maternal grandparents died pretty young – my grandma about five months before I was born & my grandpa when I was two. My paternal grandma did her best to be a part of our lives. I think that she struggled with financial constraints, though, on top of living several towns away from us. We simply didn’t see each other as much as we would have liked. She died the summer I turned twelve.

My mom & dad each had a brother, both of whom were married and had two children each. However, we never spent a lot of time with either of their families. I grew up without ever really knowing my four cousins. If I saw them on the street now, I probably wouldn’t recognize them.

I’m telling you all of this because I want you to know that when I say I’ve been lonely for most of my life, you can see why that is: growing up, I didn't have a lot of people on my side, so to speak. And while we had little to do with our extended family, the gap that they left wasn't exactly filled with friends.

My mom had a lot of quirks. She didn’t like to ask for help from anyone. We struggled financially when I was really young, so I grew up pretty poor. Mom didn’t like for people to know how much we struggled, so we virtually never had people over to the house. She was very sensitive. She felt slighted easily. She often took things people said the wrong way, something she and I butted heads about continually once I reached adulthood (she always thought I was secretly saying something I wasn’t, which made it difficult for me to talk to her about anything). I think this is why she herself didn’t have very many friends. She never encouraged us to make friends either. When I did make friends, she never seemed to like them.

I feel like I grew up without ever being properly socialized. I spent a lot of time with my brothers and their friends (other boys from the neighborhood). I really only had one close childhood friend, the girl who lived across the street. My brothers and I virtually never engaged in any extracurricular activities like Scouts or camp or sports. We could never afford them. As a child, I never had a birthday party with friends. I never had a sleepover or went to one. We never left our neighborhood much, except to go to school.

At school, I excelled academically but struggled to make friends. Adults loved me. Kids thought I was weird. I was very shy, introverted and bookish. Due to our monetary issues, I often wore my brothers’ hand-me-downs and probably wasn’t as clean as most other kids (my mom was so ultra-frugal that she kept utility bills down in part by not allowing us to bathe every day). Also, being fatherless was still a bit of an oddity back in the early 80s. The teasing didn’t really begin in earnest until I reached junior high – when kids turn especially evil – but by then pretty much everything was wrong with me: I was poor; I wasn’t even remotely cool; I was too skinny; I had a stupid last name; I wasn’t attractive (seriously: my “awkward phase” lasted well into adulthood). I simply didn’t fit in.

I basically grew up feeling like a social reject and I was too socially inept to figure out how to fix it. I couldn’t wait to move away from my hometown for good. Nowadays, my acquaintances always seem surprised when I give them a truncated version of my sad childhood. “How did you turn out so normal?” I’ve had people ask. It makes me laugh. I don’t feel normal at all; I guess I’ve just gotten good at acting that way. Not that I’m not genuine. I really am as nice and friendly as I appear to be. On the inside, however, I always feel a little lost in social situations. “Did I just say/do the wrong thing?” I frequently wonder. “Does that person even like me?”

It makes me sad to think that you can never truly outgrow the way you were brought up no matter how hard you try. Believe me, I’ve tried pretty hard. I went through several rounds of therapy in my 20s. I feel the strongest now – mentally and emotionally – that I’ve ever felt. But the self-doubt never goes away completely. Some part of me will always feel like that lonely loser nerd who grew up with hardly any friends.

And that's pretty much that, in a nutshell. If I have a tendency toward loneliness, it's only because I've been lonely since I was a kid. As we'll see in the next part of the series, however, my checkered experience with friendships hasn't exactly helped the matter. 

I'll see you for that some time in the next few weeks.

6 comments:

Cindy M. said...

We've discussed some of our childhood similarities. I know I still feel like the same weird kid inside.
You're one of the nicest people I know. I think you're awesome. I think the ability and courage to be this honest is part of what makes you so attractive.

Patricia said...

This is very interesting. For me, loneliness in childhood came from two things: being surrounded by Mormons with huge families and the sad fact that I lived where all the boys were and all the girls weren't.

I too grew up with no extended family nearby. We did travel frequently to see my grandparents and Aunts, and they visited us. But there were no cousins on that side and the cousins on the other side were much older than us and lived on the other side of the country.

Someone at my reunion this year remarked that the neighborhood he and I grew up in was teeming with children and it was. But by some quirk of geography, all the girls in my grade in elementary school that I was friends with lived on the other side of a rather large street. So I would walk home from school reading a book on the way and my brother would roll down the street with what seemed to be hoards of friends. I think it was the contrast between us that made the difference.

I had no idea that you often feel awkward in social situations. It doesn't show at all. In fact, you've always seemed to excel at that, from what I noticed.

I wonder what made your mother so hyper-sensitive? Was she even aware of that tendency?

This is a great series so far. Keep writing.

Patricia said...

And poverty. I grew up feeling like we never had any money. It turned out we were fine, but someone (ahem) was just always freaked out about money. That was a big realization as an adult.

But I've known people who grew up actually poor and that leaves some scars. It's one of the reasons the income disparities in this country make me so mad.

balyien said...

Cindy - Thanks. I think you're awesome too. :)

balyien said...

Patricia - I certainly didn't grow up poor in the way that some people have, but I do remember times when we went hungry until the child support check came in. It definitely left me with some idiosyncrasies.

I don't know exactly what made my mom so sensitive. I know she had a lot of issues from her own childhood. She was a "surprise" baby. I think she felt like she wasn't wanted, and I know that she felt like her mom didn't like her.

I tried to talk to her about her issues but she just got mad at me, especially if I suggested she try counseling. In my opinion, she was low-level depressed my whole entire life. I just wanted her to be happy. But I think she saw admitting that something was wrong as a weakness.

HSofia said...

Your writing definitely conveys the sense of loneliness you experienced as a child.

Loneliness was never an issue for me as a young child, but from adolescence to my mid-20s it was pronounced. Sometimes I think back on it now, at 37 years old, and it's hard to believe I was ever so achingly, terribly lonely. My journals from that period are hard to re-read for this reason. I remember feeling at times like an abandoned broken house sitting all alone on a hill, the wind blowing right through me, and nobody even remembered I existed anymore, and it just seemed like it would always be that way.

Nowadays people are always contacting me to ask for advice or thoughts or information, my child always needs me, my husband wants to spend alone time with me, and there's some event to prepare for or family issue that crops up. It's exhausting at times (perhaps in part because I'm not used to it) but then I think back to the girl I used to be who felt so alone. And again I am amazed at how life can change so much.

It wasn't till I had a family of my own that I began to feel irreplaceable. I think it was true all along (my parents could have told me this!) and what human on earth is NOT irreplaceable? But it took me a long, long time to finally believe it about myself.