Monday, September 9, 2013

Postcard Project: 1930s, Part 4

Any grammatical/spelling mistakes are copied verbatim from the postcards.

August 28, 1933
Addressed to Grandpa. Text below.

"Hi Pal - We came thru [redacted town name] yesterday about 9 a.m. I wanted to stop but I thought you wouldnt be up. We're coming home Tues. P.M. Maybe I can stop then. If not come to B.C. sometime. The sights are wonderful. See you at B.Y. convention - Alpha."

I wonder what B.Y. convention was? I find it strange that Grandpa might not have been up at 9 a.m. I'm not a morning person at all, and even I am usually up before 9. I wonder if he worked nights?

The above is one of my favorite cards of the collection. I think it's so pretty.

August 31, 1933
Addressed to Grandpa. Text below.

"Dear [redacted] - Are you going to be busy next Saturday nite? The kids are having a surprise party on Mary Stone. Could you come? I'll be home Sat. forenoon. Please call and let me know. Having a swell time. Minnie."

The card definitely says that the surprise party is "on" Mary Stone. I wonder if that was the turn of phrase back then, rather than having a party "for" someone. Curious. Also, I love how everyone in the 20s and 30s seemed to be having a "swell" time.

December 1, 1933
Addressed to Grandpa. Text below.

"Dear [redacted], Got in here on time for dinner. I like Hillsdale very much. Did some Sec. work for one of the conf. this afternoon. Kazoo took charge of devotions tonight before the main address. Dr. Franklin was good. As ever your Friend, Alice."

I neglected to mention before that "Kazoo" (which has appeared on other postcards) refers to Kalamazoo, Michigan. I suspect that Alice means that the Kazoo faction of whatever group she was with took charge of devotions, not the city itself. I gather from the postcards that Alice did some kind of traveling secretarial work for (probably) a church group.

I love the two women sitting on the steps of the building in this picture. It just seems like such a nice touch.

December 3, 1933
Addressed to Grandpa. Text below.

"Dear [redacted]: They brought me your special at 9:15 a.m. Saturday morning, during first session in the College Baptist Church. The Convention has meant much to me. Wish you & Fred could of come and injoyed our Fellowship. Have lots of business for a meeting soon. Score 1450. Alice."

Were Grandpa and Alice playing a 1930s version of "Words with Friends" with each other? Also, I bet Alice wanted Grandpa to enjoy her "fellowship." wink wink nudge nudge

July 5, 1934
Addressed to Grandpa. Text below.

"[Redacted]: Have enjoyed my trip over. Had to change trains in Detroit and stations in Cleveland. Had to wait over 2 1/2 hrs in Cleveland. Took me 15 hrs to get here. Jo & Ralph were here ahead of me and Jo's was worried because I didn't get here sooner. The Convention is great - so is Pittsburgh. Alice."

A 15-hour train trip doesn't sound particularly enjoyable to me, but whatever floats your boat, Alice.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I love that World's Fair postcard too. It's just so enthusiastic. The colors, the design, the blimp in the sky. I kind of love World's Fairs and am sad we don't have them anymore.

I wonder what ever became of Alice?

balyien said...

I've been wondering whatever happened to World's Fair. The last postcards in my collection are from the one in NYC in the 1960s.

I too wonder whatever became of Alice. I think I have only one more from her in the collection. We're straying close to the time my grandparents met.