Saturday, September 28, 2013

Best Picture: "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," 1975


Movie Stats:
Released 1975 (USA)
American, in English
Director – Milos Forman
Stars – Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher, Will Sampson (plus a lot of people I never knew were in this film, including Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, Brad Dourif, Vincent Schiavelli, and others; look them up on IMDB to see who they played)

Plot Summary:
When chronic troublemaker R.P. McMurphy (Nicholson) lands in prison yet again, he fakes insanity to get what he thinks is going to be an easy stint in a mental institution. Once he’s been committed, he butts heads with ice-queen Nurse Ratched (Fletcher) and befriends deaf-mute Native American Chief Bromden (Sampson).

Warnings:
Blue language (lots of f-bombs); sexual innuendo/situations; the kind of violence you’d expect in a mental institution; very brief male nudity (butt only).

Bad Stuff:
Everybody always talks about how evil Nurse Ratched is, but she didn’t seem especially evil to me until the end of the film. I spent the whole movie expecting her to be worse than she was, which left me a little disappointed. I suppose maybe that’s the fault of the people who talk about this film, rather than a fault of the film itself. Ultimately, I don’t have a lot of complaints, though. The ending was pretty depressing but I knew that going in.

Good Stuff:
The acting was really good. Nicholson was kind of meh; he played the same character he always seems to play. But everyone else was great. I especially enjoyed DeVito (as Martini) and Dourif (as Billy Bibbit). If I hadn’t looked at the cast list beforehand, I might not have recognized either of them.

I enjoyed the sweetness of Nicholson’s character. He was a screw-up, but he was a good-hearted screw-up. He wasn’t malicious. He cared about the other men on his ward & wanted to help them. I liked the friendship & trust that he built with Chief. In a movie with so much underlying sadness, it left me feeling like perhaps things weren’t so sad after all.

The Verdict:
I expected to find this movie depressing but ultimately it didn’t get me down like I thought it would. I wouldn’t say that it’s enjoyable or gripping, but it’s certainly interesting. I see why many people who love film count it amongst their favorites. It’s not one of my favorites, but it’s a good flick nonetheless.

I give the movie 4 stars.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Another movie I watched very late at night. I too, remember being surprised at all the recognizable actors in this film. I was not so much a fan of this, mostly because Jack Nicholson is annoying in every film he is in, including this one. I also am fairly uncomfortable with Nurse Ratched--for some reason her portrayal raises my feminist hackles.

We read this book for book group a year or so ago and I really liked it, even though it was quite uncomfortable. Chief is the narrator of the book and I love him much more than McMurphy.

balyien said...

Another friend was telling me that the book was really good! I would add it to my reading list but my list is already too long.

I was distracted the whole film by the realization that Christian Slater totally copied Nicholson's speaking style in the 80s/90s. I'd heard people say that before, but I never truly noticed it until now.