Monday, January 7, 2019

Top Songs of the Year 2018

Click on the Top Songs tag at the bottom to view all the posts on this topic.

In no particular order, and with little commentary, out of all the songs I downloaded in 2018, here are the 5 that I listened to the most.

This year, I’ve been into synthesizer music in a way I never was before (I blame “Stranger Things” for triggering 80s nostalgia in me). I love how moody and slow this is (plus all of GUNSHIP’s videos are super cool). Warning: although it's in claymation, this video is violent:



Getting to see them in concert reminded me of my love for Toad & how comforting I find Glen Phillips’s voice. It also introduced me to some of their more recent work, including this song:



I love this peppy little missive about (in my opinion) the insecurities of relationships:



“Out of the darkness, into the light… I’m alive, I’m alive, I’m alive.”



Discovered this Montreal-based band (and also Hot As Sun above) while watching the show “Killjoys.” I’m really loving all their work. In this particular song, her voice reminds me of Stevie Nicks:


2 comments:

Patricia said...

What a great lineup. I was steeling myself to get through the synth one (they are one thing I'm happy to leave back in the 80s) but I really liked it.

I like the peppy little missive and the "I'm alive" ones the best.

balyien said...

Glad you enjoyed, even the dreaded synth song! I was at an event earlier in the month & saw a man wearing a GUNSHIP jacket. I was floored! It was retro 80s style of course.