Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Up with U.S. Geography: Rhode Island

State Name:
Rhode Island

Capital:
Providence

Date of Entry:
May 29, 1790

Maps:
Map of USA. Rhode Island shaded & with arrow pointing
to it.

A close-up of Rhode Island & its neighbors.

Neighbors:
Massachusetts, Connecticut

Water Borders:
Pawcatuck River, Narragansett Bay, Block Island Sound, Rhode Island Sound, Atlantic Ocean

Total Area:
1,214 square miles

Five Largest Cities:
Providence, Warwick, Cranston, Pawtucket, East Providence

Famous Geographical Point:
Block Island

State Nickname:
The Ocean State. Presumably due to its proximity to the Atlantic Ocean.

Famous Person:
H.P. Lovecraft, horror author

Book Set In/About:
The Prince of Providence by Mike Stanton

This is a non-fiction book about Buddy Cianci, the controversial long-term mayor of Providence.

Movie Set In/About:
"Evening" (2007), directed by Lajos Koltai

A dying woman tells her daughters about her young adulthood, including her romances.

Headline of the Day:
"Rhode Island Sues HP Enterprise Over DMV Computer System" on ABC News.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Guess who lived in Massachusetts for many years and never dipped over the line to Rhode Island? Did you guess me? You are right! There was one point where my boyfriend and I were going somewhere and it was 20 miles to Rhode Island and I said, "Let's go!" just so I could say I'd been there. The then-boyfriend wasn't into collecting states, so we didn't and now I've got to go all the way across the country to add that state. Sheesh! It's the one New England State I didn't get to. (Though admittedly, Maine was just a quick trip over the boarder so I could say I'd been.)

PS. There's also this song. It might help you in your state knowledge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig2daWp-Pls

hee hee.

balyien said...

That song is hilarious! Not sure how accurate it is, though. Lol.

I'm with you. I would've gone to Rhode Island just to be able to say that I'd been to Rhode Island. Who wouldn't? Your ex-boyfriend, who apparently had no sense of adventure.