Friday, November 18, 2016

Found Item: Skeleton Mermaid Postcard


I was in Seattle last weekend for a wedding. One evening, I went to a pub to watch a soccer game, and found the above postcard sitting abandoned on a table. If you know me at all, you know that this artwork is so me. Therefore, I thought it an amusing coincidence that it ended up in my hands.

I intended to transcribe what's written on the back, but the more I read it, the more it feels too intimate to share, even though I would never post the names of who wrote it or who it was sent to. It's a Billie Holiday quote, coupled with a longing sentiment. It's both lovely and sad.

I feel so lucky to have stumbled across this find.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

What a great find. And now you can tell yourself a story as to how it ended up left behind. Did someone leave it accidentally? Was the relationship over and they were discarding it? So many possibilities.

balyien said...

I forgot to mention in the post that the postmark was several years old. So someone held onto it for an awfully long time, and presumably carried it on them? So it seems strange that they would misplace it. Like why even have it in a bar? (Although I surmise they used it as a bookmark. I saw this a lot when I volunteered at the bookstore.) Dan was appalled that I took it and kept it. It actually made me feel a little bad.