Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Final Reflections on December 2014

December 2014 was pretty great, a nice cap on a year that was full of lots of ups and downs (More on that, perhaps, later. I’m still deciding whether or not to do Final Reflections on the year 2014). The month began with a visit to my beloved Austin, where I attended my friends’ wedding, got to enjoy some of the city, and hung out with most of my really awesome Austin friends. It was a short trip, but I had a great time.

After flying back to Cali, I spent the rest of the month really busy with writing, work, household errands/chores, and holiday festivities. In some respects, it’s been a little overwhelming. I’m finding it difficult to balance everything I need and want to do. I feel like I have three jobs: novelist, part-time admin assistant, and housewife. “Why don’t you pawn off some of those household chores on your husband?” I hear you thinking to yourself. Sadly, my husband is working 10-12 hour days right now, and often works on the weekend as well, so he doesn’t have a lot of time or energy for the household errands either.

I think I’m beginning to figure it all out. Getting up earlier in the morning is helping (I sleep too much anyway), and spontaneously losing interest in watching much Netflix has freed me up to get more reading done, a hobby I’ve been meaning to get back to for a while. Even so, after the go-go-go of the first few weeks of December, it was nice at the end of the month to be off work so I could relax and spend a lot of time by myself, which I enjoyed.

Just before New Year's, I released my first novel. My goal had been to release by the end of the year, so I was both thrilled and proud to reach that goal. Since this is my personal blog, and not intended for professional promotion, I will not be using it as a platform to launch my career. However, at the release of each book, I will make one post containing the relevant info. Here is the info for my first book, The Artifact (by J.E. Lorin):


The outpouring of support from my friends has been both tremendous and humbling. It’s been a great reminder that I know a lot of truly wonderful people. The journey to get to this point has been a long one. It wasn’t easy to give myself permission to chase this dream. I’m so happy that I did. Even if the book never gains traction, releasing it fulfilled a lifelong dream. It’s been tremendously gratifying. 

Here’s to hoping that your December was filled with as much fun, laughter, and satisfaction as mine! I wish you all the best in 2015.

3 comments:

HSofia said...

Sounds like a good month, and I'm glad you fulfilled a lifelong goal - I am reading your novel right now and even though it's the first "romance" (and certainly first sci fi romance) I've ever read, I'm enjoying it! May your 2015 be wonderful!

-hafidha

Patricia said...

It's not every month (or even year) you get to post that you are fulfilling a lifelong dream. Well done! I'm so proud.

balyien said...

Hafidha, thanks! You too! :)

Patricia, thanks! That means a lot to me. :)