Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Final Reflections on June 2014

June is always a month of mixed emotions for me because my wedding anniversary will forever be followed two days later by the anniversary of my mother’s death. The best of times and the worst of times, all in one week.

In the past, our wedding anniversaries have been so bad (with the exception of our first) that it’s become something of a joke. Of course, it’s not by design. Bad things just seem to happen to us in mid-June. This year, we made a concentrated effort to make it a good one. Since our bodies complied by not getting sick (like last year), we were able to succeed. We went on a lovely dinner cruise in Marina del Ray, where we dressed up fancy like adults for once, had a five-course meal, and drank some champagne. It was nice.

I tried to get out as much as possible early on in the month because I knew that World Cup was starting on the 12th and that once it started I wouldn’t be leaving the house much. My goal (no pun intended) was to watch every single game. Unfortunately, I missed two full games due to my sewing class (But I got a cute skirt out of it instead. Yay!). I also missed the second halves of two games that were being shown simultaneously because we had the opportunity to go to Universal Studios.

Other than that, I’ve watched them all and it’s been a heck of a lot of fun. It’s been a great Cup. I can’t even be sad that my #1 team is out of the tournament because it’s all been so tremendously enjoyable. I’ll probably go into withdrawal once it’s over.

There hasn’t been much going on in my life besides the Cup. I’ve been at a standstill with every aspect of my writing, including publishing. Nothing seems to be helping me move forward. One day, I was trying to work on something when I suddenly realized that I don’t even like my own writing anymore. I decided to take a step back. Recently, I've been thinking about getting some part-time work. I think that adding some structure to my life could be helpful. Plus, as much as I enjoy living a life free of obligations, I’ve never felt especially comfortable with the idea that I’m not contributing financially to my family.

I guess if there were one word to sum up the month, though, it would be “soccer.” It’s been my life’s blood. I’m hoping that, by the end of July, I’ll have something more exciting to be talking about, but for now that’s it. If you’re stopping by to read, why don’t you tell me what captivated you in June?

3 comments:

Patricia said...

How many games is that? I'm glad you were able to nearly meet your soccer watching goal. I met my goal of not watching any games. We both win!

My June was about getting through the last bit of school, which I did, but not well. I'm thinking proactively about the end of August and what I can do to not limp through the start of school.

Once school was over, June was about summer! I got back into the yard (sadly neglected this spring) and even got some sewing done. Now that it's July I am going full-tilt summer and loving it.

Also, I discovered the Ruby Oliver Quartet of novels (first one: The Boyfriend List) which I devoured over the space of maybe a week. They were fun and funny and even inspired this summer's movie project.

balyien said...

So far there have been 36 games. There will be 4 more until it's all over. In the meantime, U.S. soccer has been playing Open Cup (a tournament in which teams from all levels of play participate) and the regular MLS season resumed two weekends ago. I haven't been watching as much of that because I definitely reached a soccer saturation point.

What is the summer movie project that the books inspired?

Patricia said...

It's good to know you HAVE a soccer saturation point. :-)