Saturday, June 28, 2014

Up with Geography: Argentina

Country Name:
Argentina

Capital:
Buenos Aires

Continent:
South America

Maps:

South American continent. Argentina outlined
in dark ink and shaded.

A closer view of Argentina & its neighbors.

Neighbors:
Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, Uruguay

Water Borders:
Atlantic Ocean (South)

Total Area(added March 2015)
1,073,518 square miles

Five Largest Cities:
Buenos Aires, Cordoba, Rosario, Mendoza, La Plata

Famous Geographical Point:
Tierra del Fuego (archipelago)

Famous Person:
Eva Peron, former First Lady

Book Set In/About:
The Motorcycle Diaries by Ernesto "Che" Guevara

Che Guevara's travel diary of his motorcycle trip across South America. While not about Argentina specifically, I felt that this was a good choice for this category because it's an iconic book written by one of the most famous Argentines who's ever lived.

Movie Set In/About:
"The Secret in Their Eyes (El secreto de sus ojos)" (2009), directed by Juan Jose Campanella

When a retired court employee sits down to write a novel, he decides to draw on a case from his past that has long haunted him, the brutal murder of a beautiful woman.

Headline of the Day:
"World Cup 2014: How Argentina Learned to Stop Doubting and Fall in Love with the Genius That Is Lionel Messi" in The Telegraph.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Tierra del Fuego is one of my favorite things to say. I don't think I actually knew it was an archipelago. I would have correctly located it in South America, though. Although not in Argentina.

balyien said...

It does roll rather nicely off the tongue, doesn't it?

I was just thinking to myself "I always thought Tierra del Fuego was a group of islands." Then I looked up what an archipelago is and realized that it is, in fact, a group of islands. So I guess that's the thing I didn't know.