Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sixth Floor Museum

Located at 411 Elm Street in downtown Dallas, in the old Texas School Book Depository building, the Sixth Floor Museum is dedicated to the assassination of the U.S.’s 35th President, John F. Kennedy. It only makes sense; the location is the site of the drama that unfolded nearly 50 years ago.

Honestly, I probably never would have visited the museum if not for my visiting brother’s request to do so. My regards to him; it turned out to be an excellent experience.

Texas School Book Depository.
The window on the far right on the sixth floor
is the window from which Oswald took his shots.

I’ve never been much of a JFK buff. All I’ve ever really known about the assassination is the little bits I could recall from my high school history class. Because of this, I went in to the museum with a pretty open mind, ready to learn.

The museum set-up is not one of my favorites. It’s mostly wall displays with pictures and text. There are a few other displays as well, such as a large-scale model of the area on the day of the assassination, and a recreation of the sniper’s nest. The cost of admission ($16 for adults; less for children, students, and seniors) gets you a free audio set that you carry with you. The audio, narrated by a reporter who was on-scene the day of the assassination, provides you with extra information.

Part of Dealey Plaza, across the street from the museum.
Many of the assassination witnesses stood in Dealey Plaza.

Although I was initially put-off by the set-up (I find self-guided museum tours to be isolating), I thought the museum was great. It provided a lot of information that I hadn’t previously known. It also made the assassination make more sense in terms of the details. Seeing it all in person – the window Oswald took his shots from, how close it was to the President’s vehicle, where the witnesses were standing, etc. – simply brought it all together for me. Once faced with the evidence, the conspiracy theories began to sound silly to me.

The "grassy knoll."

However, the museum doesn’t shy away from exploring the conspiracy theories, and I admired that as well. It helped to put everything in perspective.

I don’t think I’d ever go again. A second run would probably prove boring. But I do think it’s good for at least one visit and I would recommend it to anyone. It was thoughtful, informative, and surprisingly moving. Faced with the grief of a nation that had lost a popular leader, I found myself teary-eyed more than once.

If you're planning a trip to Dallas, you might want to add this stop to your list.

3 comments:

Cindy M. said...

I really enjoyed it the first time. I think they do a nice job. I like free parking and the cafe across the street is cute and has good breakfast.

Patricia said...

I would be visiting there, should I ever visit Dallas.

Here's that other museum I was annoyingly vaguely talking about. It's in Irving TX and is called the Ruth Paine House. It was pretty hard to find the link on the internet. Probably because they called it the Ruth Paine House and not "Oswald Slept Here"

http://cityofirving.org/museums/paine-house.asp

balyien said...

Cindy - We took the train down, so I didn't know they had free parking. That's awesome!

P - Ah yes. That makes sense. They said at the museum that Oswald had two homes - one in Irving and then the boarding house in Dallas. Nowadays, Irving isn't far to travel from downtown (it's approx. due west by a few miles) but 50 years ago it probably was. My assumption was that he stayed at the boarding house during the work week & went home to his wife in Irving on the weekends.