Thursday, November 7, 2013

Postcard Project: 1940s

As always, all grammatical/spelling errors copied verbatim from the cards.

September 6, 1940
Addressed to Grandpa.

"Hello [redacted]: Watt do you no. Volta."

It would perhaps help you to know that the "know" in "what do you know" rhymes with Grandpa's nickname, so his friend was being a little funny. Family lore has it that Grandpa was a very friendly, well-liked guy, but it's still a little weird to me to see evidence of all these friends he had that I never got to know. Of course, I never got to know my grandpa either.

March 4, 1941
Addressed to Grandpa.

"[Illegible] Friend, When I get there I shell talk  frekly[?] to you. Your Friend W.S.H., Hot Springs, S.D."

I don't know who W.S.H. was. I'm guessing that "frekly" is "frankly" either misspelled or the handwriting is so poor that I didn't read it right. Or maybe it's "friendly"? "Frankly" seems more likely which, if that's what it is, it seems pretty serious to me.

June 9, 1942
Addressed to Grandpa.

"Hi [redacted]: Having a grand time. Frank thanks you for the candy & sends his best regards. Pretty country down here but plenty hot. Everybody really friendly here make you feel right at home. Regards, Jeanne & Frank."

Inspired by my friend P, I looked up this building online. While the hospital system appears to exist, this building itself no longer does (unless my googling skills failed me).

All three of these postcards were sent to my grandpa at his job, which I think is a little weird.

4 comments:

Patricia said...

What was his job? I think it's weird too, but maybe people knew him through work?

I like that all these are the exact same style: paintings. I wonder if it was cheaper or more expensive to produce the paintings vs. photographs.

balyien said...

He was a police officer with a part time job as a security guard. Two of these cards were sent to the police station; the other to the store he worked at as a security guard. I know he met a lot of people through his second job.

I assume that photograph postcards were expensive to reproduce back then and/or were considered "special." Nearly all of the photograph postcards I have are of family members, not of places or things.

Patricia said...

I'm getting a picture of a very fun and chatty guy. The kind of security guard/police officer you would send postcards to while on vacation.

Plus, I think people just sent more postcards back in the day.

balyien said...

When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes take us to the local Dairy Queen, which was owned by the son of the man who owned the convenience store where my grandpa worked as a security guard. Mr. Dairy Queen always waxed poetic about how awesome my grandpa was. I remember that, even as a kid, I was jealous that he got to spend time with Grandpa and I never did.