Thursday, August 8, 2013

Postcard Project: 1930s, Part 1

As always, any spelling/grammatical mistakes were made by card authors & copied verbatim by me.

July 7, 1930
Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Hello Honey: Am sorry I couldn't see you before I left. Hugo called me in the morning and we drove over, left at 130 had a swell drive over. See you sooner. Love, Mary."

Scribbled along the side: "Hello darling know you are joy August."

Mary was one of my grandma's best friends. I found a picture of her amongst my family photos. There was a relative of ours named August but I don't think he was the same one who scribbled the note on the side of this card, as I don't know why he would have been traveling with my grandma's friend (unless it was a chaperoned trip of some short).

August 2, 1930
Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Hello Honey: Am at Oshkosh now having a swell time. But do wish you could be here to injoy it with me. I am as ever yours. Do write soon. Al."

Al was Grandma's sweetie long before she ever met my grandpa. I have a newspaper article about a car accident they were in while out joy riding one night. I'll have to post it sometime!

August 18, 1930
Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Hello Honey: Am having a swell time hope you were here. It sure is Beautiful here. Your old man I mean Sweetheart. Al."

Whoa, slow down there, Al. ;)

May 23, 1931
Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Hey Kid. Not lost yet and going strong. I'll be seeing you. M.N."

"M.N." is Grandma's friend Mary. The image on this card has been censored due to its extremely offensive, racist nature. I debated long and hard about whether or not it was right to censor the image. Ultimately, I decided that I didn't feel comfortable having a picture like that on my blog, even in the commission of a historical project like this.


July 1, 2931
Addressed to Grandma. Text below.

"Dear [redacted]: We got here fine hope you are the same it was 99 degree in the shade yesterday so you cant think how hot it was in the sun Violet. [address follows]"

Since I've mentioned Violet by name in my blog previously, I've included her name here. She was Grandma's younger sister.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Oh to know what that horribly racist postcard looked like! But then maybe it would sear my eyeballs and be there forever. So perhaps it's for the best.

I think I need to visit Wisconsin. It looks pretty, via 1930s postcards.