Friday, August 2, 2013

Best Picture: "The Sound of Music," 1965


Movie Stats:
Released 1965 (USA)
American, in English
Director – Robert Wise (who last brought us West Side Story)
Stars – Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer, Eleanor Parker, Richard Haydn

Plot Summary:
Set in Austria in the months just before the German takeover of the country. Maria (Andrews), a novitiate at a convent in Salzburg, doesn’t quite seem to have what it takes to become a nun. Uncertain what to do with her, Mother Abbess (Peggy Wood) sends her to work as a governess to the seven children of Captain Georg von Trapp (Plummer). There, Maria and Georg slowly begin to fall in love. Parker co-stars as Georg’s other love interest, The Baroness, and Haydn as her brother (?), Max Detweiler.

Bad Stuff:
“How do you solve a problem like Maria?” Apparently the answer is, “Get her out of the convent and marry her off.” That doesn’t seem very church-like to me, but all righty then.

While I agree that Andrews has a lovely singing voice, I felt that a lot of her acting, particularly in the beginning of the film, was hammy.

There are quite a few songs that I don’t like (“I Have Confidence,” “Do-Re-Mi,” and “Sixteen Going on Seventeen” jump immediately to mind).

Good Stuff:
It had been so long since I’d seen this that I’d forgotten Georg is played by Christopher Plummer. I thought he was phenomenal. Easily the best performance of the film.

I really liked that the film didn’t rely on the love triangle to create all the drama. [SPOILER I GUESS BUT REALLY HAVE YOU NEVER SEEN THIS FILM?] When Georg calls off his engagement to The Baroness because he’s in love with Maria, she accepts defeat very gracefully. I really loved that scene.

They snuck some snappy dialogue in there. I was really surprised. One of my favorite lines in the film was a complete throwaway, spoken by Marta, the second to last child: “Maybe the flags with the spider in the middle make everybody nervous.” They still do, Marta. They still do.

The Verdict:
This is the only one of the 1960s winners that I’d ever seen all the way through (I’d seen pieces of some of the others). I’m going to be perfectly honest. I always hated this film. It’s one of those movies that everyone else you know loves. But I’d seen it multiple times when I was younger and had never liked it.

However, I hadn’t seen it in a very long time, certainly more than 20 years, so I decided to watch it again. And suddenly, this time, I got it. I know why everyone likes this film.

The cinematography is beautiful. It’s sweet, good-hearted, and fun. I always thought that, at its center, it was merely a mostly-unimaginative love story, but watching it this time, I found myself truly touched by the story of Georg and his children, of how Maria showed Georg how to be a father to them again. When he first hears the children singing “The Sound of Music” and walks into the room to join them, I was moved to tears.

So consider me a convert. I like this film now! It just goes to show, sometimes you need to give things (and people!) a second chance.

I give the film 4.25 stars.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I find it interesting that the songs you hate are my favorites (okay, not Do-Re-Mi). Although, really, that 16 going on 17 song is terribly sexist, but I was exposed at such a young age, I just can't not like it. I can sing it all the way through, (both parts, and I prefer singing Rolf's part.) But "I have confidence"? Why do you not like that? I find myself breaking into that song now and then. It's just so rousing! I once totally freaked out a dad at school when he told me his family had seen the fountain in that scene. How could I not sing--very loudly--the song at that point?

I've always loved this movie, mostly because I wanted the fun of six siblings, a big house, and a cool new nanny/stepmother who sang all the time and who magically heals everything. It's like Mary Poppins, but more realistic, because it really happened. Also, sewing clothing from curtains? Totally up my alley.

I'm glad you gave it a second chance.

Also, in the play, the baroness and that guy Max (listed as "the Captain's Friend) have a very funny song that didn't make it into the movie.

balyien said...

I could have sworn that The Baroness referred to Max as her brother, but I also thought there was kind of a "winky-winky" aspect to it, so I was confused. I had completely forgotten that character. I was surprised when he turned up in the film. "Who the heck is this guy?" I thought.

Re: the songs. It just goes to show, different strokes for different folks. Although I appreciate the meaning and lyrics behind "I Have Confidence," I think what I didn't like is the tempo/music of it. It was just very jarring to me. And I was appalled by the lyrics of "Sixteen Going on Seventeen." "You're just a girl, and a young one at that. You obviously need a man like me to take care of you. Do whatever I say." Back off, creeper!

I can totally see you making clothes from curtains!