Sunday, June 23, 2013

Best Picture: "Gigi," 1958


Movie Stats:
Released 1958 (USA)
American, in English
Director – Vincente Minnelli (He also directed An American in Paris. And he's Liza's dad.)
Stars – Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier, Louis Jourdan, Hermione Gingold

Plot Summary:
Rich playboy Gaston Lachaille (Jourdan) is thoroughly bored with his conventional Parisian life in the early 20th century. The only thing that brightens it is his platonic friendship with Gigi (Caron), a young, reluctant courtesan-in-training. When Gaston realizes his true feelings for Gigi, will convention win out, or will he buck it to keep their relationship pure? Chevalier co-stars as Gaston’s playboy uncle, Honore Lachaille, and Gingold as Gigi’s grandmother, Madame Alvarez.

Bad Stuff:
When a movie starts off with an old guy singing “Thank heaven for little girls,” that’s a certain level of “squick” factor that I personally find difficult to overcome. I thought it was going to be all downhill from there, so imagine my surprise when the film actually turned out a few good moments.

This movie deals with a delicate topic: rich guys paying well-trained women to be their companions & sleep with them (but not marry them). Since this was filmed in the 1950s, however, they spent most of the movie alluding to this vaguely and with euphemisms. I think that modern viewers, who are used to things being explained more directly, might find that a little confusing.

Good Stuff:
The costumes were fabulous.

Jourdan turned out a fine performance. Everyone else was okay, but they weren’t given much to work with. His character was really the only one with any nuance.

There were some genuinely funny moments. I particularly enjoyed the “I remember it well” song. I also liked how it poked fun at the whole courtesan culture, although I’m a little perplexed by that topic of choice for a 1950s film.

The Verdict:
There’s not a whole lot to say other than “meh.” There just isn’t much to this film. There’s no point to it. There’s no lesson. At its heart, it’s merely a love story, and not even an especially compelling one at that (although Caron & Jourdan had good chemistry). In the end, I didn’t hate it, but I would never recommend that anyone watch it either.

I give this lackluster affair 2.5 stars.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

May I comment on how well you summarize these movies? You do. Good job.

Aside from "too long" (I may have been watching it late at night) what I remember about this is "very bright colors."

balyien said...

Thanks! I'm glad that my summaries are effective. And I agree that the colors in this movie are very bright.