Monday, April 1, 2013

Final Reflections on March 2013


If you’re a regular reader, then you’ll know that March 2013 was a little tough for me. If you're not a regular reader, you can read more about that here and here, if you’re so inclined.

However, things seem to be looking up lately. I’m definitely feeling better, and as I look back on the month, I realize that it wasn’t a total wash. Sure, my creative writing is at a standstill, which is definitely a bummer. Even so, I’ve managed to keep up with this blog. In fact, my posts have been fairly consistent – I’ve been at it for 8 months now without a break, which is probably a record for me.

I’ve also managed to be creative in other ways. At my March “stitch ‘n’ bitch,” I made a collage, the first one I’ve made in years:

Unfortunately, now that I've made it, I don't know what to do with it.

I used to make them all the time. It felt good to get back to it. Also, this past weekend I bought a new cross-stitch kit. It’s Halloween-themed, but the spooky houses, bats, cats and so forth are right up my alley. Here’s the first one, which I did in just a handful of hours on Saturday:

I may do something crafty with these come Halloween-time.

In addition to remaining creative in one way or another, I’ve also been getting out for walks at least once a week, and sometimes more than once. The weather is beautiful right now, so I feel good about enjoying it while it lasts.

Lastly, the fact that I’m able to start focusing on the positives is a good sign. I’m pretty sure that it means I’m on my way to healing.

In national news, the only big story I really keyed in on was marriage equality. As you know, I try to keep politics off my blog, but this is one issue on which I’m unwilling to remain silent. I believe in marriage equality. If consenting adults want to get married, I feel that they should be able to. Furthermore, I feel that denying them those rights is wrong.

I spent 8 years of my life working at a Unitarian church. I happened to be working there when the county in which I lived and worked briefly, and kind of out of nowhere, legalized gay marriage (I believe that this was in 2003 or 2004). Many of the gay couples who attended our church called to ask if they could come down and get married that very day, the second their licenses were in-hand. So we found some altar cloths and ran to the nearest grocery store to buy some flowers and we threw open our doors and a whole bunch of people got married that day.

I count myself lucky to have been there to witness this. Here were these couples, dressed in whatever they’d thrown on to rush down to the county clerk – usually just jeans and sneakers and sweatshirts – standing there without any frills and they were so happy. We all were. Everyone was grinning from ear to ear the whole day, the couples and the ministers and us witnesses and the families. They were, by far, the most joyful weddings that I’ve ever attended.

No one will ever be able to convince me that love like that is wrong. Love is a beautiful thing. And, as was once the motto of the church, I will always stand on its side. People who oppose marriage equality will eventually find themselves on the wrong side of history. I can only hope to live long enough to see that day.

These are the things that were on my mind in March 2013. If you’re stopping by to read, why don’t you tell me what’s been on yours?

4 comments:

Patricia said...

I loved that moment too--there was so much happiness. Youth Service happened to fall in the middle of the marrying and the youth who got to read all of the marriages that happened, she was so happy. And we were all so happy there was a standing ovation.

balyien said...

The standing ovation was a really good moment, too. Those were beautiful times.

Amy said...

Hello! Thank you for sharing your feelings over the last few posts. It has been good to read them and feel that I get to know how you're doing even though we don't talk much. You asked what's on our minds lately, so...

As you may know, I am currently wrapping up a seven month trip through Asia and have been thinking about what this trip has meant to me, and how it may impact my decisions in the future. Seven months of travel feels like life, not vacation. There are good days and bad, boring and exciting. You strengthen or sometimes lose existing friendships; you meet people and are glad you got to know them, though occasionally, you wish you'd never met them. My trip has had all these things.

My goal in going on this trip was to turn my life in a different, desk-less direction. I have outdoor work this summer - so far, so good! But the real test begins this fall, when I am likely to need to find a more sustainable job.

I am looking very much forward to getting back to Portland! I only hope that once I'm there, I don't slip into old patterns and stop working towards my goals.

So that's what has been on my mind lately. It would be great to see you! Let me know if you'll be in PDX any time soon, or maybe I'll even find my way to Texas.

Miles of smiles, m'dear.

balyien said...

Hey Amy! Thanks for your comment. It's been so fun to see you going on your adventures these last several months. In a way, I can hardly believe that you're already back in PDX, even though you'd already been traveling for so long.

I also hope that you're able to continue your momentum once you're home, and that you continue to strive for your goals. I know that for myself, I've been so much happier after giving up my desk job. Knowing you, I think that you'll benefit even more than me from an office-free life. I hope that you're able to find work that will suit your needs.

Sadly, I have no plans to visit PDX any time soon. We're working on paying off our debts, which means that travel is pretty much out of the picture for the next few years unless something incredible happens. But perhaps we'll find a way to meet somewhere along the way anyway! :)

Best of luck to you now that you're home. Keep me updated!