Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Best Picture: "The Best Years of Our Lives," 1946


Movie Stats:
Released 1946 (USA)
American, in English
Director – William Wyler
Stars – Frederic March, Dana Andrews, Harold Russell, Myrna Loy, and Theresa Wright

Plot Summary:
Follows 3 WWII vets – Army sergeant Al Stephenson (March), Air Force captain Fred Derry (Andrews), and sailor Homer Parrish (Russell) – as they attempt to adjust to life after the war. Loy stars Al’s wife Milly & Wright (whom we might remember from Mrs. Miniver) stars as his daughter Peggy.

Bad Stuff:
At nearly 3 hours, this movie is as long as it feels. I had to take two days to watch it because I just couldn’t get through it all in one sitting.

I love that it starred Harold Russell, an actual WWII vet who lost both of his hands in a non-combat related incident during the war and was given hooks to replace them. I thought he did a phenomenal job. However, I was turned off by how his character was used. Many times when he was on-screen, the film turned very preachy, very “wounded vets just want to be treated like everybody else and we’ll hammer that point repeatedly until you understand.” Sometimes I felt like I was watching an after school special. I get what they were trying to do. I don’t even necessarily disagree. However, I felt like the message could’ve been delivered much more subtly, without treating moviegoers like they’re dense children.

Good Stuff:
Andrews was fantastic. I feel that he deserved to win Best Actor Oscar for this film, rather than March. (Russell’s win, for Best Supporting, was, in my opinion, well-deserved though. He’d never acted before this film.)

I really admire this film for tackling a lot of tough issues. Having grown up long after WWII was over, the narrative I always heard was that the vets just came back and got on with their lives, as “real men” do. So it was nice to see a movie that showcased what these vets actually went through, how they came home with both physical and mental scars to families with whom they had trouble connecting. They faced unemployment and underemployment, alcoholism, infidelity, and divorce. I felt like the film addressed all of these issues with sensitivity, sympathy, and wit.

The Verdict:
I enjoyed it far, far more than I had anticipated. It’s not a masterpiece, but it’s an extremely enjoyable, heartfelt film. I think everyone should see it at least once. I give this movie 4 stars.

Bonus Movie Fun Fact: Wyler also directed the 1942 Best Picture winner, "Mrs. Miniver."

4 comments:

Patricia said...

I've been wanting to see this, though not enough to make it happen. And three hours, sheesh. Was there an intermission? I love coming across intermissions in movies. Sweet Charity has one.

In a not that isn't related to anything, I've always loved Myrna Loy's name. It just kind of lolls about on the tongue.

balyien said...

No intermission. The only Best Picture winners I recall having an intermission are some of the really early ones, "Wings" and "The Great Ziegfield." Maybe "Cavalcade," but I honestly don't recall.

I say don't let the lengthy running time turn you off though. I think it's worth it. It's a pretty compelling movie.

Sadly, like many actors, especially in those days, "Myrna Loy" was a stage name. Her given name was Myrna Adele Williams. I loved her character in this movie - gently, lovingly indulging of her husband.

Patricia said...

I think we need to bring back the name Myrna. And Adele, for that matter.

balyien said...

Well, I suspect that now there's a popular singer named Adele, we'll probably be seeing more girls named that. Not so sure about Myrna though. That one might just be too old-fashioned.