Saturday, April 27, 2013

Best Picture Interlude: Three Decades' Worth of Ratings


Now that I’ve finished three decades of Best Picture winners, I thought it would be fun to do a little “round up” of how I’ve rated the movies. (I like to organize, so shoot me.) I’ve grouped them by decade, from least favorite to favorite.

1920s
2. The Broadway Melody – 2.5 stars
1. Wings – 3 stars

1930s
10. The Great Ziegfield – 1.5 stars
9. Mutiny on the Bounty – 2 stars
8. Cimarron – 2.5 stars
7. Cavalcade – 2.5 stars
6. You Can’t Take It with You – 3 stars
5. All Quiet on the Western Front – 3 stars
4. Grand Hotel – 3.5 stars
3. The Life of Emile Zola – 3.5 stars
2. It Happened One Night – 4 stars
1. Gone with the Wind – 4.25 stars

1940s
10. How Green Was My Valley – 2.75 stars
9. Hamlet – 3 stars
8. Mrs. Miniver – 3 stars
7. Rebecca – 3.25 stars
6. Gentleman’s Agreement – 3.75 stars
5. Going My Way – 4 stars
4. The Lost Weekend – 4 stars
3. The Best Years of Our Lives – 4 stars
2. All the King’s Men – 4.25 stars
1. Casablanca – 5 stars

As you can see, the 1940s rated pretty high. Seriously, it was a great decade for movies. I’m looking forward to the 1950s, though. I’ve only seen two of them before, so a lot of it is going to be new ground for me. I already have 1950 in my hot little hands, so expect to see a review of it in the next few days.

4 comments:

Patricia said...

Poor, poor, Great Ziegfeld. It feels so neglected.

balyien said...

Don't worry, I'm sure that "Crash" will join it at the bottom of the barrel in the future. Maybe "Dances with Wolves" and "Titanic" as well.

Patricia said...

Dances With Wolves sunk my "best picture" project. I was watching all the nominees in reverse order. I just could not make myself watch that movie.

But I loved Titanic. I really thought I wouldn't but, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio? How could I resist.

balyien said...

I'm dreading a re-watch of "Dances with Wolves" as much as I am "Crash." I hate them both.

I liked "Titanic" when it came out. Of course, when it came out I was 22 and had had a crush on Leonardo DiCaprio since I was like 16. I tried to watch it again several years later and thought it was both slow and boring. I'm not sure what I'll think of it this time around.