Thursday, July 19, 2012

South Padre Island


I recently took a trip to South Padre Island. For those of you not in the know, South Padre is a tiny island at the very tip of southern Texas, in the Gulf of Mexico. It’s narrow but long, tropical and balmy, a popular destination for family vacations throughout much of the year and for college students during Spring Break.

Gulf of Mexico

I took a handful of pictures on the trip, although not enough to bother posting them for friends to see on FB. So I thought I’d post a few of them here.

Laguna Madre Bay

I had intended to take more but I found that South Padre isn’t exactly picturesque. That isn’t to say that I didn’t have a good time, because I did. I just don’t think it’s especially pretty there. The island is highly developed, full of hotels and condos and restaurants and tacky souvenir shops. It’s also full of people. Perhaps I was spoiled by Maui; I was expecting less concrete, more jungle.


Laguna Madre Bay, looking back at the island

At any rate, the trip was fun, very laid back and relaxing. I went to the beach every day for long walks in the surf. It might have been romantic if I hadn’t been alone, haha. Fortunately, I found it conducive to overcoming writer’s block. I had a lot of great ideas walking along the South Padre beaches. I have to wonder if I might have taken better advantage of Maui when I lived there, if I’d only known that the beach had magical writer-enhancing properties.

Texas sunflowers

So I hope you enjoy these pics. And if you get the chance, take a nice long walk today. You might just come up with the next great American novel while you’re at it.



4 comments:

HSofia said...

I totally agree about beaches having magical writer properties! I have always been inspired at the beach. Why was this beach so empty? Did you manage to avoid the people in the shots, or was there a busier area that people preferred?

Patricia said...

I second Hafidha's questions as I only know South Padre Island as a Spring Break hot spot, or whatever the term is now.

I'm due for some beach time, myself. It's been quite awhile.

balyien said...

The emptiness in the first pic was due to some creative picture taking on my part. I have (unposted) pics of that beach that are packed with people.

The other beach pics are from the Bay. The beach in the first one was largely deserted, I'm guessing because it's bayside and because it was stinky due to the low tide. I took pic three from the boardwalk behind the Nature Center. Sadly, it too was largely deserted, although it was pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

Hi there!
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about South Padre Island to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane