Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Adventures in Instant Watch (AIIW)


I’ve been thinking about doing this feature for a while. I even considered starting a whole new blog just for this, but at this point, I don’t think I’m capable of updating consistently enough to warrant a second blog. So Adventures in Instant Watch (AIIW) is going to start here. If it takes off, I’ll move it to its own blog.

I hear people complain all the time that they can’t find anything they want to watch on Netflix’s instant watch program. This perplexes me because I find all sorts of interesting things on there. Granted, most of them are not things I was looking for. I’m guessing that’s what people are actually trying to tell me: that the new blockbuster movies and/or popular television shows that they want to watch don’t immediately appear on Netflix.

I think this has more to do with who owns the rights to these TV shows & movies than it has to do with Netflix, but I digress. The bottom line is this: I think people are nuts when they say there isn’t anything interesting to see on instant watch.

I love Netflix because it has lead me to watch all kinds of things I had never even heard of before. This doesn’t bother me. If I want to see the big blockbusters, I’ll go see them in the theater; otherwise I can wait a while. And I’m so out-of-touch with TV that I’ve never even heard of most shows I might want to see until they turn up on instant watch. So I like that Netflix has opened up a world of independent and/or foreign movies for me.

I won’t lie. Most of the movies I’ve watched were mediocre. However, some of them have been really great. Therefore, I thought it would be fun to do blog posts highlighting some of these things. You never know, maybe someone will read one of my reviews and discover their favorite movie of all time. :)

6 comments:

Michael said...

But will anything be as good as Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter?!

Dan from COTXMTORCAMI said...

Trouble is, you're likely to get a lot of recommendations, too. And some of your readers are going to be into the weird stuff.

balyien said...

Well, so far, most of my readers are my friends and I already know they're into the weird stuff. After all, one guy made me watch this awful movie called "Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter." It would go down in history as the worst movie of all time, except that "Death Bed: The Bed That Eats People" exists. :)

Patricia said...

Oh! Remember that horrible Sleepaway Camp movie? So awful!

Patricia said...

I also have to say that I couldn't do this. I experience movie paralysis when I'm in video stores (or their new equivalent)I just can't decide what to bring home and the feeling of helplessness grows until I just grab something that usually isn't very good. I've had much better luck bringing things home from the library and only getting around to watching a few of them.

balyien said...

Oh, Sleepaway Camp. That one was pretty bad. At least the ending was super creepy though.

And believe me, I've seen my fair share of things on instant watch that I've turned off after 10 minutes. My reviews will stick to the ones I finish though.