Monday, August 19, 2019

Up with U.S. Geography: Oregon

Oregon is the sixth of the eight states I've lived in to make the list! I lived there for for nine years, from 1998 - 2007. Never thought I was going to leave but sometimes these things happen when you fall in love.

State Name:
Oregon

Capital:
Salem

Date of Entry:
February 14, 1859

Maps:
Map of USA. Oregon outlined in dark ink.

A close-up of Oregon & its neighbors.
Neighbors:
Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California

Water Borders:
Pacific Ocean, Columbia River

Total Area:
98,381 square miles

Five Largest Cities:
Portland, Salem, Eugene, Gresham, Hillsboro

Famous Geographical Point:
Crater Lake

State Nickname:
The Beaver State. Back when fur hats were "in," they were often made from beaver pelts, a lot of which came from Oregon. Note: Oregon’s legislature has never approved an official nickname, but this is the state’s widely accepted unofficial one.

Famous Person:
Matt Groening, cartoonist, writer, producer, voice actor (creator of "The Simpsons")

Book Set In/About:
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

After faking insanity for a lighter sentence, criminal McMurphy matches wits against the evil Nurse Ratched.

Movie Set In/About:
"The Goonies" (1985), directed by Richard Donner

A group of kids go on a treasure hunt in order to save their neighborhood from a land developer. Definitely not the best movie set/filmed in Oregon, but it includes some very iconic Oregon scenery, which is why I chose it.

Headline of the Day:
"Oregon Has Way Too Much Legal Weed. This Is Where It's Going" in Vice.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Oregon is one of four states I've lived in and it's the one I currently live in! Fun fact: next August (I think) I will have lived longer in Oregon than in any other state.

I think my favorite Oregon movie is Stand By Me. When we did our bike ride to Eugene, we learned that Brownsville still has a lot of connection to that movie, since it was filmed in the area.