Sunday, February 24, 2019

Up with Geography: Estonia

Country Name:
Estonia

Capital:
Tallinn

Continent:
Europe

Maps:
European continent. Estonia outlined in
dark ink.

A close-up of Estonia & its neighbors.

Neighbors:
Russia, Latvia

Water Borders:
Gulf of Riga, Baltic Sea, Gulf of Finland, Lake Peipus, Lake Pskov

Total Area:
17,413 square miles

Five Largest Cities:
Tallinn, Tartu, Narva, Pärnu, Kohtla-Järve

Famous Geographical Point:
Lake Võrtsjärv

Famous Person:
Arvo Pärt, composer

Book Set In/About:
Purge by Sofi Oksanen

An old woman who lives in an isolated cabin in the woods discovers a battered, beaten young woman in her garden one night. She takes the girl in and soon discovers a shocking truth that rockets her into memories of her past.

Movie Set In/About:
“Risttuules (In the Crosswind)” (2014), directed by Martti Helde

Based on a true story, it tells the tale of one Estonian family’s deportation to Siberia (In 1941, thousands of people from the Soviet-occupied Baltic states faced such deportations; the mortality rate of these unlucky souls is estimated at 60%).

Headline of the Day:
“Estonia Celebrates the Independence Day” on estonianworld.com

I felt compelled to choose this headline because today (February 24) is, in fact, Estonian Independence Day. I had no idea! However, I thought I would also mention my favorite headline of the day: “Workers in Estonia Rescue Dog from Icy River, Only to Find out It’s Actually a Wolf” in The News Journal.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Okay, the favorite headline had me old-man heh-ing. And I'm glad they saved the poor wolf and I hope s/he went on to have a long and happy life. Although I'm guessing there is a larger chance that the wolf was euthanized.

I find it interesting to hear that the Gulf of Finland is a water border. Do the Estonians call it the Gulf of Estonia? I also remember when these countries got their independence from the USSR.

Also, I first heard about the deportations to Sibrea with Ruta Sepetys' book "Between Shades of Gray" which is focused on the Latvian deportations. But I'm not surprised they happened in Estonia too.

balyien said...

That's a good question re: Gulf of Finland. Nearby Gulf of Riga is named for Latvia (Riga is the capital of Latvia). So it appears that Estonia doesn't have anything named for it. Who decides on the names and does everyone agree on those names? I looked for a map of Estonia in Estonian. The one I found lists the Gulf of Finland as "Soome laht" which Google Translate tells me means "Finnish Bay."