Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Top Songs of the Year 2017

In no particular order, and with little commentary, out of all the songs I downloaded in 2017, here are the 5 that I listened to the most.

"I was late for this, late for that, late for the love of my life... " Ugh, gut punch.



I don't care for the rest of the album, but I love this song:



"I gotta find out who I'm meant to be. I don't believe in destiny. But with every word you swear to me, all my beliefs start caving in... "



I heard this song on the radio & immediately fell in love with Mike Protich's voice:



True story. When the theater I work at had a two-week run of the musical "Sunset Boulevard" over the summer, I had this song stuck in my head the whole time (due to the opening lyrics).

2 comments:

Patricia said...

RE: Cleopatra. It was months and months of singing along before I could sing the chorus without chocking up.

I don't know if you've seen it, but the Lumineers have a 24-minute "Ballad of Cleopatra" that combines several of their songs into a longer story. I haven't watched it, but it's supposed to be good.

I'd not heard that Harry Styles song and had fun imagining how fun it would have been to film in all those places before I realized that was probably all green screen. Alas.

I really liked Sing Street the movie, but I think the 50's inspired song was my favorite from that soundtrack.

The Red Sun Rising song reminded me of my youth, mid-90's era, both the musical arrangement, and the tone quality of voice.

Billy Joel! He hasn't released an album for 25 years! But he still remains awesome. Also, I learned that he doesn't like his voice. He feels like he always is trying to sound like someone else.

balyien said...

Gosh, that's so funny. We're always our own worst critics. I love Billy Joel's voice! I don't think he sounds like anyone else.

That's probably why I like that Red Sun Rising song so much; it sounds 90s!

I hadn't heard that about the Lumineers ballad. I'll have to check it out. I recently downloaded another song off that album, "Gale Song." I'm so in love with it.