Friday, January 5, 2018

Top Movies of the Year 2017

Click on the Top Movies tag at the bottom to view all the posts on this topic.

This year I watched a whopping 185 full length films.* 73 of those were films that I’d seen before. My biggest film-watching month was January, when I saw 20 films. The lowest film-watching month was March, when I saw 12 films (probably due to the move). I have to admit, I feel that this is WAY too much film watching & that there are probably some better things I could be doing with my time. My goal is to watch fewer films in 2018.

That being said, here are my favorite films watched in 2017:

5. “Be Here Now” (2015), directed by Lilibet Foster

This documentary follows actor Andy Whitfield, who had recently shot to international fame as the lead in the TV show “Spartacus,” as he fights cancer. SPOILER ALERT: Andy died of his cancer in 2011 at the age of 39, leaving behind a wife & two young children. This film is sad but incredibly, deeply moving.

4. “The Edge of Seventeen” (2016), directed by Kelly Fremon Craig

Teenager Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld) struggles to find herself after her best friend starts to date her older brother. One of the few “teen” films I’ve seen that actually captures what it feels like to be a teenager.

3. “Thor: Ragnarok” (2017), directed by Taika Waititi

In the third installment of the franchise, Norse god Thor (Chris Hemsworth) faces his deadliest foe yet, his sister Hela (Cate Blanchett). This film is immensely funny and entertaining.

2. “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” (2017), directed by Martin McDonagh

After her daughter is murdered, with no movement on the case, Mildred (Frances McDormand) pays for an advertisement, spread across three billboards, calling out the local sheriff. It’s a lot more violent than I was expecting, but the acting in this film is absolutely phenomenal. I particularly loved McDormand, Sam Rockwell, and Woody Harrelson.

1. “Wind River” (2017), directed by Taylor Sheridan

When a young woman is found dead on a Native American reservation, green FBI agent Jane Banner (Elizabeth Olsen) investigates the death with the help of local game tracker Cory Lambert (Jeremy Renner). The advertising for this film gave many the impression (myself included) that this is a taut, psychological thriller. It’s not. There are some tense moments, but overall this film is a slow-paced character study. It’s visually stunning, it’s poignant and emotional, and Renner is amazing in it.

Honorable Mentions: Lady Bird, Philomena, Metropolis

*As usual, my criteria is that I must watch the whole film from beginning to end. I don’t count “partial” watches.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Wow! 185 films! That blows my total out of the water. If you did individual reviews, your blog would have so many more posts. I hear you about watching fewer though. Like the year I was reading too much and avoiding other things.

I'm in total agreement about Thor and the Edge of 17. Those were both quality films in different ways. I've not seen Be Here Now (no surprise as I rarely watch documentaries.)

Three Billboards I also really liked while watching, especially the nuance of character. I'm less excited about it now, given some of the commentary. Melissa Taminga's notes on Letterboxd were quite good at capturing all the feelings I was having about some small quibbles that might be a big deal.

I've not seen Wind River, but am interested in it, and more so thanks to your review. I'll probably catch up with it.

I'm having Adam Kempanaar-style feeling re: Lady Bird not being on your top five. Mr. Kepanaar is the host of Filmspotting and sometimes when he really loves a movie, he gets mad if people don't love it equally as he does. But I'll let it slide. :-)

Kelly and I saw Philomena together. That was sure a weeper.

Also, I love the Metropolis made it on your list. Way to represent those movies from 1927!

balyien said...

Haha, I knew you wouldn't be happy that "Lady Bird" didn't make my top 5! I did like it a lot. It was going to be in my top 5 until I went back through my list and remembered "Be Here Now." It was such a moving film I had to include it instead (it's also a weeper).

Talking about weepers, we saw "Coco" last weekend. Holy cow, waterworks! Great film though.