Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Up with U.S. Geography: Michigan

Michigan is the second of the eight states I’ve lived in to make the list! I was born & raised in this state, living there full time for my first 18 years and part-time during four years of college.

State Name:
Michigan

Capital:
Lansing

Date of Entry:
January 26, 1837

Maps:

Map of USA. Michigan outlined outrageously poorly in
black ink & with name written on it.

Close-up of Michigan & its neighbors.

Neighbors:
Wisconsin, Canada, Ohio, Indiana

Water Borders:
Lake Superior, Lake Huron, Saginaw Bay, Lake Saint Clair, Lake Erie, Lake Michigan

Total Area:
96,716 square miles

Five Largest Cities:
Detroit, Grand Rapids, Warren, Sterling Heights, Lansing

Famous Geographical Point:
Mackinac Island

State Nickname:
The Great Lakes State. This seems self-explanatory.

Famous Person:
Madonna, singer, songwriter, actress, icon

Book Set In/About:
The Road to Wellville by T.C. Boyle

A comedic, fictionalized account of a real-life phenomenon, Dr. John Kellogg’s early 20th century vegetarian health spa in Battle Creek, Michigan.

Movie Set In/About:
“Grosse Pointe Blank” (1997), directed by George Armitage

So many movies to choose from (including “Prancer,” which was filmed in the county where I grew up), but I have to go with this supremely weird black comedy about a hit man who receives a job in his hometown, coincidentally at the same time as his ten-year high school reunion.

Headline of the Day:
“Michigan Store Owner Uses Snowplow to Capture Theft Suspect” in U.S. News & World Report.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

That's possibly the best headline so far? Though that "water catching on fire" one was pretty good. When you finish this project, it would be fun to have a compilation of all 50 state's headlines. Though a pain to assemble, so feel free to ignore that suggestion.

I've just counted the number of states you've lived in and I can only get to seven. Which one am I missing? (I'm not putting my list here in case you don't want everyone to know all the states.)

For the first 27 years of my life, I hadn't met that many people from Michigan. Then I moved to Portland and, holy cats there are a lot of Michiganders here!

If I ever become a person who takes vacation, I would like to explore Michigan more. Detroit looks fun, and I'd love to explore Mackinac Island and the Upper Peninsula.

balyien said...

I think peanut-butter-jail-escape is probably my favorite headline so far. The snowplow story ended up being a lot less funny than I expected. The thief's arm was broken in the escapade, which seemed excessive to me (IIRC he stole a couple of lottery scratch tickets).

Most Michiganders I meet are from the Detroit area. It's rare to meet people from my neck of the woods, but one of my friends in LA grew up in the same county as me. And then a few weeks ago, I met a woman here whose husband went to the same high school as me! At the same time! (He's a few years older. I don't remember him.)

I'm guessing that you're neglecting Washington, since it's the last year of my "10 years in Portland."