Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Out and About: St. Louis, Day 2 - Part 2

For the final portion of my solitary afternoon in St. Louis, I went to the Missouri Botanical Garden. It was, hands down, my favorite part of the trip. The garden is enormous, peaceful, and stunningly gorgeous. I was there for several hours, and I could have easily spent more time there, but my brother was ready to pick me up. I didn't even get to see everything!

View of the Climatron, with a fountain & sculptures in the foreground. The inscription at the fountain indicated that the sculptures are on loan:


Inside the Climatron:

Chihuly glass.




Ceiling of the Climatron as seen through latticework.

Be still my heart with this tile work.

Arty shot.

I loved the Fall colors & the Autumn displays that hadn't yet been removed, even though they were already setting up for Christmas:






The mausoleum for Henry Shaw, founder of the garden:


Statue of Juno & aerial view of the maze (taken from the observatory) in the English Garden:



In the German Garden, a lovely tree & my favorite little resting spot:



Ceiling of the gazebo.

The sublime Japanese Garden:







George Washington Carver Garden:


A lovely sentiment.

A final bit of color on my way out the door:


Later that evening, my brother and I joined his conference compatriots at a cool little bar called Propaganda. Then it was back to the hotel , as I had an early flight in the morning. Overall, it was a very enjoyable trip. I'm so glad that I went!

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Botanical gardens are not high on my list of things to do when visiting cities, but I can see from these pictures that they should be. So lovely. I loved the tile fountain and the ceiling of that gazebo.

balyien said...

I LOVE botanical gardens! I probably like them even more than most museums. And yeah, the craftsmanship of the gazebo's ceiling really blew me away.