Wednesday, June 8, 2016

AFI Top 100, #13: "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957)

This movie was previously reviewed as part of my Best Picture Project. Below is the pertinent information about it: the movie stats, plot summary, and the rating I gave it. You can read the full text of my review HERE.

Movie Stats:
Released 1957 (UK)
American & British, in English (some non-translated Japanese & Thai)
Director – David Lean
Actors – William Holden, Alec Guinness, Sessue Hayakawa

Plot Summary:
When British Colonel Nicholson (Guinness) clashes wills with the man running his POW camp during WWII, Colonel Saito (Hayakawa), he eventually wins out. However, once he and his men begin the task they’ve been assigned – building a bridge across the River Kwai in Thailand – it soon becomes clear that, rather than subtly working against the Japanese, Nicholson is determined to build the best damn bridge that a British regiment can build. In the meantime, American Commander Shears (Holden), who previously escaped the POW camp, returns with a small force to blow up the bridge.

Rating:
4 stars

2 comments:

Patricia said...

You are almost to Top Ten territory!

balyien said...

There are actually only 4 movies in the top 10 that I haven't previously reviewed! I'm still not sure what my next project is going to be. All my ideas keep falling apart.