Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Up with Geography: Belize

Name:
Belize

Capital:
Belmopan

Continent:
North America

Maps:
Map of North America. Belize outlined in
dark and shaded.

A close-up of Belize & its neighbors.

Neighbors:
Guatemala, Mexico

Water Borders:
Caribbean Sea

Total Area:
8,867 square miles

Five Largest Cities:
Belize City, San Ignacio, Belmopan, San Pedro Town, Orange Walk Town

Famous Geographical Point:
Ambergris Caye

Famous Person:
Dame Elmira Minita Gordon, independent Belize's first governor-general

Book Set In/About:
On Heroes, Lizards, and Passion by Zoila Ellis

A series of short stories that highlights different facets of life in Belize.

Movie Set In/About:
"Three Kings of Belize" (2007), directed by Katia Paradis

A documentary about three Belizean musicians.

Headline of the Day:
"Leonardo DiCaprio Is Opening a Resort on His Private Island in Belize" in Huffington Post.

I wish you could have seen the look on my face when this was the first headline that popped up. Let's just say my internal reaction wasn't especially favorable. At least it's an eco resort, I guess.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Why that's funny, I'm opening a resort on MY private island in Belize too! What are the chances?

Until I read the headline, I had the Cure's "Elise" in my head. But that knocked it right out.

Sheesh.

balyien said...

It's funny to me how many rich people have their own private islands. Like, do they just have so much money that they don't know what else to do with it? Or are they so hounded by the public that they need to get away? Perhaps it's a bit of both.