Thursday, March 6, 2014

Final Reflections on February 2014

My final reflection for February 2014 is late because I’ve been having a really hard time writing it. I’m not even sure what draft I’m up to. Let’s just say the number is high. The problem is that I feel like I have a lot to say. As soon as I get halfway through saying it, however, I begin to suspect that what I’m saying is better suited to its own topical essay than a monthly reflection.

Basically, my thoughts are a mess.

So I figured that, rather than banging my head repeatedly against this particular wall, trying to write a reflection that just won’t come out right, I’d give you the highlights instead. They are as follows:

1. I spent most of February getting settled in, including buying furniture and décor to make our new home as comfortable as possible.

2. I decided to take this whole “life change” thing seriously so I, along with my hubby, am changing pretty much everything, including our bank and our car. I even decided to grow out my hair for the first time in 20 years! We’ll see what else is in store from here.

3. Toward the end of February, I started to get out to do more things and meet people. So far, I’ve been on some great hikes and have met some really nice people.

4. I’ve been feeling disappointed in myself over two issues. The first: not doing as well on a job interview as I could have (although I am still, in theory, in the running for the position). The second: not making any progress in self-publishing.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, it’s point #4 that gave me fits every time I tried to write this reflection. I’m considering writing one (or two) essays about it later this month.

That's my February 2014 in a tiny little nutshell. If you're stopping by to read, why don't you tell me how February went for you?

3 comments:

Cindy M. said...

It occurs to be that I wander through my days and weeks without reflecting much. In February I started a kickboxing class. We don't hit each other, just bags. We learn the moves and build up or cores. My core is sore. I never would have expected to find so much muscle to bed sore under the fat. It's a lesson in humility along with all the physical stuff.
I've been contemplating a tattoo- a big one. But it will have to wait because I need to save my pennies and find an artist.
Work is work. Nothing exciting, but not bad, except the day the skunk got caught in the recycling sorter.
Alex got his letter in wrestling. Did you know Letterman jackets are $250-400? He also got a job waiting tables.
I picked up my guitar after a long break. My fingers hurt, but I still like playing. I'm making an effort to do stuff that makes me happy/well-rounded/healthier. I guess most people do that in January, but I had to get my head around the idea of doing things for me. So far, so good.

Patricia said...

I like how your points got you through the writing of this. And I wouldn't mind a longer essay in the future, hint, hint.

My February was like all Februarys: the month to be gotten through. I despise the second month of the year. I think it was this month though, that I figured out I could reward myself for going to Pilates by stopping at New Seasons on the way home and buying something fun for lunch on Friday. I bring my lunch M-Th, and am pretty tired of it by Friday. So this is less money than going out, plus it's not so calorie dense. Plus I'm much more interested in Pilates when I'm tired and cranky on Thursday night. Yipee.

Other things happened. Snow, for one. A mild obsession with season 2 of the television series Veronica Mars. I worked a lot on a project and did a lot of revising of my writing. I saw not a single movie in the theater, which is odd for me.

Onward to March!

balyien said...

Cindy - That sounds like the kind of kickboxing class I could get into. I've never been very interested in competition with other people; it's one of the things I dislike about most martial arts type classes. I'm glad you're sticking with it. I'm also glad to hear that you're doing things for you. When you get out of the habit, it can be really tough to get back into it, but I think you'll be much happier in the long run. :)

P - God, I love Veronica Mars (although season 3 sucked). I'm so excited that the movie is about to come out. I hope it's good.

I'm glad you survived the detestable February. :)