Saturday, October 5, 2013

Postcard Project: 1930s, Part 6

All grammatical/spelling mistakes copied verbatim.

Date illegible. Chronology guessed based on ship-to address.
Addressed to Grandpa

"SAME OLD STUFF. - [redacted]"

It took me stupidly long to figure out that Grandpa sent this card to himself, even though the handwriting is obviously his. I guess I just wasn't expecting to see something he sent to himself.

July 28, 1937
Addressed to Grandma with her married name.

"Hello, Having a grand time. Hope I'll be able to take a trip like this every year. Talk about beautiful scenery of [redacted] County. I think some of the places around here have it beaten. See you next week. Love, Minnie."

My grandparents married some time in 1937. I know I've got the marriage certificate around somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look for it right now. I think maybe they didn't know each other very long before they got married. They allegedly eloped (according to my mom anyway).

August 29, 1937
Addressed to Grandma & Grandpa.

"Dear [redacted]: Just drove up here for the weekend - I wish we could stay for a month. The city & bay are lovely - tonite we are going out to dine & dance. Don & Mary."

The Mary in question is the same one as all the other postcards. Not sure when she got married. I visited Traverse City about 50 years after this postcard was sent & have to agree that it is indeed lovely.

October 1, 1937
Addressed to Grandpa.

"HI THERE [redacted]!"

This is another one that Grandpa sent to himself.

October 2, 1937
Addressed to Grandma.

"HAVING A SWELL TIME." - J.W.F.

Grandpa sent this to Grandma, although I suspect they were traveling together. A belated honeymoon, perhaps?

2 comments:

Patricia said...

I totally don't get the first one. Can you explain?

Two things I find interesting. Suddenly there are TWO cartoon postcards, and we haven't seen many of those, aside from the horribly racist one. Did they suddenly come on the scene, or was maybe your grandmother more of a fan of those ones?

Sending postcards to yourself. What a grand idea. I want to do that more.

balyien said...

Yeah, I don't get that postcard either.

I think the cartoon postcards were popular in the 30s in general. I suspect what we're seeing here is only a small portion of the postcards my grandparents received over the years. Grandma probably only kept the ones she really liked, or were sentimental to her. I wonder what was on all the ones that are long gone now?