Monday, March 12, 2018

Top 50 Actresses, #8 - Deborah Kerr: "The King and I" (1956)

Movie Stats:
Released 1956 (USA)
American, in English (minor, non-translated Thai)
Director - Walter Lang
Stars - Deborah Kerr, Yul Brynner

Plot Summary:
In the late 19th century, widow Anna Leonowens (Kerr) accepts a job as teacher to the King of Siam’s (Brynner) children.

Warnings:
None.

Bad Stuff:
It’s really kind of racist. If I’m to give it the benefit of the doubt, I would still say that it’s rather condescending toward the Thai people.

While I liked Anna, I didn’t find her characterization believable. She was far too independent & outspoken for a British lady of the 19th century. Honestly, even for a woman of the 1950s she came across too modern.

[SPOILER]
The King’s illness & death were weirdly abrupt.
[SPOILER]

Good Stuff:
If I ignore the fact that Brynner wasn’t Asian, I thought he was magnificent.

I loved the play sequence toward the end of the film, where the King's wives showcase their own interpretation of the book Uncle Tom’s Cabin for their British guests. It was absolutely beautiful. Also, I enjoyed how Tuptim (Rita Moreno), who adapted the book for the play, drew the parallel between her own experience & Eliza’s experience.

Underneath all the glitz and glamor, this story is about people learning and accepting each other’s cultures, which is a nice message.

About the Performance:
As I said, I don’t find the character of Anna particularly believable. Given the time period, her station in life, and her age, I don’t think she would be such an ardent feminist. However, that was the material Kerr had to work with, and I thought she did a good job of it. She’s beautiful and graceful, a true pleasure to see and hear. I also admire her ability to effectively act while dressed in such ridiculously large hoop skirts. Plus, her chemistry with Brynner crackled. She’s a large part of what gives the film the charm it needs to work.

Other performances of Kerr’s I’ve reviewed: From Here to Eternity.

The Verdict:
I liked it better than I thought I would. It handles the racial issues with about as much sensitivity one can expect out of a 1950s film, which isn’t much but I’ve seen worse. It’s a feast for the eyes, with its bright costumes and lush sets. The song & dance routines are fun. It’s also funnier than I anticipated (much of the humor is brought by Brynner), with some unexpectedly racy jokes. By no means do I think it was a great movie, but I didn’t think it was terrible either.

I give it 3.5 stars.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

For someone who likes musicals, I have some large gaps, this being one.

I do know that the musical is based on the real Anna's book--and it turns out that while the real Anna did write two books in the 1870s, Margaret Landon took those books and made a "semi-fictionalized biographic novel" called Anna and the King that was published in 1944.

The Wikipedia article about Anna Leonownes says that she was a feminist and a lot of her writing was focused on the subjugated status of the Siamese women. It also mentions that Boris Karloff is her great-nephew.

In other news, I don't think I've seen Yul Brynner in anything. I've just checked and it seems that I have! He was in the Magnificent 7, which I quite enjoyed.

balyien said...

Shows what I know! I probably should have done some of my own research before I spouted off in my review.