Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Out and About: St. Louis, Day 1

I recently met my brother in St. Louis as an early birthday celebration (for him). Over the next three Wednesdays (including today), I'll be posting pictures from that short trip. Here are my pictures from Day 1.

I arrived pretty early in the morning, after an overnight flight. My brother picked me up from the airport & drove me to Forest Park, which in addition to being one of the prettiest parks I've ever seen, hosts the Saint Louis Art Museum, amongst many other things.

Art museum, guarded by a statue of Saint Louis:


This is what the art museum & statue overlook:


Beautiful green lawn & fall colors (neither of which we see much of where I live), downtown St. Louis in the background:


I couldn't get enough of the fall colors:


Art museum as seen from afar:


Exploring some of Forest Park's walking trails:




I liked this art deco streetlamp outside of the art museum:


The only picture I took in the art museum, but at least it's a good one:


After leaving the art museum, we explored some more of Forest Park. The building behind this fountain is the World's Fair Pavilion (St. Louis hosted the World's Fair in 1904).


Looking at the Forest Park map, I don't see a name for this building, but I thought it was charming. It appeared to only be accessible via boat:


The Jewel Box (a greenhouse):


This statue outside the Jewel Box didn't have a plaque, but you know it's St. Francis because he's depicted with birds:


I liked how this tree was framed:


Korean War Memorial:


Pretty horses chilling outside the Boat House:


After several hours in Forest Park, we drove up to Illinois to visit the Cahokia Mounds. By then, I was so sleep-deprived (I don't sleep well in places that aren't my own bed) that I sadly forgot to take any pictures of the mounds! I rounded out my day by chilling at the hotel while my brother attended a seminar.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Looks like the moneyed art patrons built themselves a nice museum, long ago. The park was quite nice too. Looking at the age of that building, I'm reminded how the West was wild for longer, thus some of our art museums are built in a more modern style of architecture. (I'm thinking Portland and Boise art museums specifically.)

Aside from the sleep deprivations, did you enjoy the mounds? Was it worth the drive?

balyien said...

We actually stayed in Illinois, not too far from the mounds, so it wasn't exactly out of the way! They're a very interesting sight. I only wish we'd found the time to walk around and hike some of the trails.