Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Up with U.S. Geography: Vermont

State Name:
Vermont

Capital:
Montpelier

Date of Entry:
March 4, 1791

Maps:
Map of USA. Vermont outlined in dark ink, shaded &
with arrow pointing to it.

A close-up of Vermont & its neighbors.

Neighbors:
Canada, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, New York

Water Borders:
Lake Champlain, Connecticut River

Total Area:
9,616 square miles

*Five Largest Cities:
Burlington, South Burlington, Colchester, Rutland, Essex

Famous Geographical Point:
Green Mountains

State Nickname:
The Green Mountain State. A truly fun fact: The word "Vermont" comes from "vert mont," which is French for "green mount." Nearly the whole state is covered by the Green Mountain range.

Famous Person:
Lindsey Jacobellis, snowboarder (silver medalist in the 2006 Olympics)

It was shockingly difficult to find someone famous from Vermont who met all my criteria: not a politician, someone who had a positive impact, born & raised there, and a name I recognized. Lots of famous people move there in adulthood, though.

Book Set In/About:
Northern Borders by Howard Frank Mosher

A coming-of-age tale set in rural northern Vermont during the 1940s/50s. It sounds enchanting.

Movie Set In/About:
"Dead Poets Society" (1989), directed by Peter Weir

Set in a fictional private school in Vermont, a dynamic English teacher inspires his students.

Headline of the Day:
"Vermont's $200 Million Mountain of Trouble" in the Boston Globe.

*Literally every list I looked at was different, which is highly unusual. I went with one dated 2015 because I figured I'd stick with the most current.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Ah, Vermont. The state I always confused with New Hampshire, when having to fill in state names on a blank map during my formative geography tests.

Now I know which is which because I've vacationed in Vermont, and we had to drive through New Hampshire to get there.

Also, the capitol name is one I often forget the name of, because it doesn't flow.

Anyway, in my first vacation of my adulthood, my roommate and I camped on the shores of Lake Champlain, outside of Grand Isle, which calls itself the beauty spot of Vermont. It was a very fun trip. Vermont in the summer was gorgeous, and I'm sure it's pretty in the winter too, but I also know it's freezing and the winters go on forever. So I won't be visiting again in the winter.

balyien said...

I have the same problem, always confusing Vermont and New Hampshire on the map. You would think that doing this project would alleviate the issue, but no.

That sounds like a really nice trip. I'd like to visit New England in the Fall for the leaves. Cliche, I know, but I love Fall leaves.