Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Up with Geography: Brunei

Name:
Brunei

Capital:
Bandar Seri Begawan

Continent:
None. It shares the island of Borneo with Malaysia & Indonesia, although it doesn't share a border with Indonesia. Borneo is surrounded by many seas and is located off the continent of Asia.

Maps:
I'm still experiencing technical difficulties with my scanner. Below are pictures of my drawings. I apologize for the poor quality.

The island of Borneo. Brunei outlined in dark ink & shaded.
Indonesia occupies the south half of the island.

A close up of Brunei & its neighbor.

Neighbors:
Malaysia

Water Borders:
South China Sea

Total Area:
2,226 square miles

Five Largest Cities:
Technically, Brunei doesn't have cities. Here is an explanation. The four official towns of Brunei, in descending order, are: Bandar Seri Begawan, Kuala Belait, Tutong, and Seria.

Famous Geographical Point:
Ulu Temburong National Park

Famous Person:
Wu Chun, singer, actor, and model

Book Set In/About:
Brunei: From the Age of Commerce to the 21st Century by Marie-Sebille de Vienne

An in-depth look at the politics, geography, and history of Brunei.

Movie Set In/About:
"Yasmine" (2014), directed by Siti Kamaluddin & Man-Ching Chan

The story of a young woman who strives to become a master of of the Brunei martial art called Silat.

Headline of the Day:
"Paulo Sergio Inspires Brunei DPMM to First-Ever S.League Title" on ESPN FC.

I swear that, despite my love for soccer, I didn't seek out a soccer-related headline. Lol.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

This post had me clicking on a lot of things. I was not getting proper scale, nor could I envision what that part of the globe looks like (terrible American, I am) and so I had to google and zoom out. Google Maps picture of Brunei makes it look very attractive and maybe I would want to visit there?

These posts tend to remind me of how little I know about the world. So at least I'm reading them and finding out the tiniest things.

balyien said...

I agree that Brunei looks very nice in pictures, and apparently it has a lot going for it in an economic sense (all that oil money). However, they instituted sharia law in 2014, so that's a pretty big downer. I guess every country has its pros and cons.

Doing this project has been pretty great/helpful, but part of me wants to put so much more information in these posts!