Sunday, October 5, 2014

Final Reflections on September 2014

For the most part, I managed to pull myself back together in September. When I turned 39 in July, I promised myself that I would spend the last year of my 30s having fun. So it was pretty disappointing to shortly thereafter fall into one of my periodic depressions. Those of you who’ve struggled with depression will know that it’s pretty much the opposite of fun. When you’re depressed, even the good times don’t seem so good.

It’s been a relief to pull out of the tailspin. I managed it mostly through willpower alone, forcing myself to keep plodding forward even when I didn’t feel like it. I got out of the house and explored more of the metroplex, which you can read about by searching “out and about” in the tags. I also started an exercise regimen. Not only have I been feeling better physically, it’s also improved my mental health and the way I feel about my nearly 40-year-old body.

Additionally, the freelance editor I hired began working on my first novel in September. As long as I get my butt in gear to put my website together and find a cover artist, this means I should be releasing my first novel by the end of the year, which I’m very excited about. I’ve been writing a lot more lately as well. I’m hoping that, by time she’s finished with my first novel, I’ll have the next one ready for my editor to begin working on.

Even so, despite all the recent accomplishments, I still have this feeling of “not quite right.” I know the issue is that I’ve been spending too much time alone. As an introvert, I don’t mind a healthy dose of alone time, but I can definitely tell when I’m getting too much of it, and I’ve been in that zone for a few months now. I’ve joined a group or two that meet during the day, but they don’t do things that I’m interested in often enough to fill the gap.

My instincts are telling me that I need to find some volunteer work, or possibly a part-time job. I’ve been kicking around this idea for a while now but the need for it is becoming increasingly urgent. Now that October is here, I think I’ll be focusing part of my energy in that direction, looking to add some structure back into my life both through a more rigid schedule/routine and through some type of work. 

In short, things are going pretty well, and I’m feeling a lot better, but there are a few areas of my life that currently could use some improvement. That’s my life in a nutshell. If you’re stopping by to read, why don’t you tell me how September went for you.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Hooray. You are on a good path and you are savvy enough to realize you are not on the exact "right" path for now.

My September was a good one. I really like my schedule this fall, it's full of good things, but not too many. One thing I realized I need to do is better plan in when the writing times will be. Also to pick a day/time when I will work on query letters.

So that's my September and my plans for October. I'm glad we're both on the up-and-up.

balyien said...

I started using HabitRPG this week and it's already helping a lot. Even though I don't really care about leveling up or getting coins or whatever, just knowing that I'm accountable to something other than myself makes a huge difference. Not only am I getting more done, having a set schedule makes me feel busier even though I'm mostly only doing all the stuff I was already doing. I haven't added any new tasks yet, other than forcing myself to write every day.

Glad you had a good September!