Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Best Picture: "How Green Was My Valley," 1941


Movie Stats:
Released 1941 (USA)
American, in English
Director – John Ford
Stars – Walter Pidgeon, Maureen O’Hara, Donald Crisp, Roddy McDowell

Plot Summary:
Some fifty years after the fact, Huw Morgan recalls his childhood in a small Welsh coalmining village in the late 1800s. McDowell stars as the young Huw; Crisp plays his father (he won Best Supporting Actor); O’Hara plays his sister Angharad; and Pidgeon plays the new preacher in town, Mr. Gruffydd.

Bad Stuff:
The sentimentality, especially at the beginning of the film, is really cloying. I rolled my eyes a lot.

It drove me crazy that no one spoke with a Welsh accent (or in Welsh, for that matter). I guess a lot of people have a hard time understanding the Welsh accent, but I happen to love it and the absence of it was noticeable.

I like Maureen O’Hara, but I thought her performance here was terrible. It was like she spent the whole film performing with a head injury. It was distracting.

Good Stuff:
Honestly, I don’t have a lot to say about this movie that’s “good.” I mostly feel “meh” about it.

The one thing I really liked was that the film discussed some issues that are difficult to talk about to this day, issues such as unionization, children born out of wedlock, and the hypocrisy of some churchgoers. For the time this came out, I consider that a bit on the edgy side. Of course, a lot of these issues weren’t really tackled head-on, but I appreciate that the film had the guts to bring them up.

The Verdict:
As I said, a big, fat “meh.” I didn’t hate it, but I didn’t like it either. This is one of those films where, even though a lot happens (several deaths, a life-altering injury, perceived infidelity, etc.), it feels like nothing happened at all. And what was up with all the random singing? In the end, it felt like a waste of two hours. I can’t imagine that I’ll ever think to myself, “Hey, I haven’t watched ‘How Green Was My Valley’ in a while, let’s pop it in.”

For that reason, I give this movie 2.75 stars.

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Oh the random singing! It's so fun to watch a movie and suddenly singing breaks out. I think people used to randomly sing more, but I also think it was the movie's way of selling songs. Early cross marketing.

I was just going to write a comment that had me confusing Maureen O'Hara with Vivian Leigh (b/c she was Scarlett O'Hara.) Thank goodness I caught that.

balyien said...

You know me, I'm usually all for random singing, but I didn't connect with it here.

At one point [SPOILER] Huw and his mother meet with an accident due to some shenanigans going on in the village. Both are bedridden for months & Huw is in danger of being permanently paralyzed. Once his mother can finally get out of bed, all the villagers come out to sing her a "So glad you're out of bed, sorry we nearly killed you" song. I was WTFing all over the place. Just weird.