Monday, January 7, 2013

AIIW: The Adventures of Tintin


Movie Stats:
Released 2011 (USA)
American, in English
Director – Steven Spielberg
Stars – (voices only) Jamie Bell, Daniel Craig, Andy Serkis, Simon Pegg & Nick Frost

Plot Summary:
In case you’re unfamiliar with Tintin, I’ll tell you that this movie is based on a series of comic books written by the Belgian artist Georges Remi, who wrote under the penname Herge. The books are very popular in Europe (I was introduced to them when I lived in Germany). I’m unclear on how well the American audience knows them.

In this animated adaptation, young reporter Tintin (Bell) and his loyal companion Snowy (a dog) purchase a model ship at a flea market, ignorant of the ship’s secret: that it holds the key to finding a hidden treasure. This lands Tintin in hot water with the nefarious Sakharine (Craig), who abducts the young man and drags him along on his quest for the treasure. However, Tintin manages to get free and join forces with Captain Haddock (Serkis), who holds his own secrets, to beat Sakharine at his game. Simon Pegg & Nick Frost provide the voices of Thompson & Thomson, Tintin’s bumbling detective friends.

Bad Stuff:
As with Video Game High School, consider this section more along the lines of minor quibbles than hardcore complaints.

It was a bit too long & definitely dragged in some bits, especially the last third or so of it. This would be my biggest complaint.

The animal companions are too smart for me to suspend my disbelief. I know that’s kind of stupid, but it’s something that annoys me in movies, and it seems to be a bit of a trope with Spielberg.

[SPOILER – SORT OF. SKIP TO GOOD STUFF IF YOU DON’T WANT ANY SPOILERS]
I’m a little uncomfortable with how Haddock’s obvious drinking problem was addressed. It was made clear that Tintin was rightfully concerned about it. However, it was also used as the butt of several jokes. I guess I just don’t find alcoholism very funny.

Good Stuff:
The opening credits were absolutely fantastic.

I thought the story, if somewhat predictable, made a lot of sense. It’s a great adventure tale, full of action and derring-do. I’ve read some reviews where it’s compared to Indiana Jones, which I suppose makes sense, given the director. Also, the violence is fairly mild. I thought the bear in Brave was scarier, so I think it would be suitable for most children.

There’s great voice work from pretty much everyone. I thought Pegg & Frost in particular were excellent. I’ve seen practically everything the two of them have been in together, and I couldn’t tell which one voiced which Thompson/Thomson. Serkis was also particularly good; he didn’t sound at all like Gollum, which was a relief. Can I also say how much I enjoy Jamie Bell’s voice in general?

I’ve seen some criticism of the animation (not enough like Herge’s work), but I thought it looked beautiful. It was occasionally easy to forget that it wasn’t a live-action film.

The Verdict:
I have a soft spot in my heart for Tintin. I also try to watch pretty much everything Simon Pegg is in, so I was very excited when I heard this was coming out. However, it seemed to generate virtually no buzz. Somehow, I got the impression that it wasn’t very good.

So color me shocked when I finally watched it, only to discover that it’s actually quite good. Afterwards, I went online to several review sites and saw that it tends to get very solid reviews. I’m not sure where I got the impression that I wouldn’t like it.

I can’t say whether or not it sticks close to the books – it’s been too long since I’ve read them – but I thought this movie was delightful. It’s fun and sweet and full of remarkably little angst. It’s a nice way to spend a lazy couple of hours on a rainy afternoon.

I give this movie 4 stars.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

That was out at the same time as Hugo, and we saw Hugo and not Tintin. It seems I have a quota for movies made for children and that quota is one per year.

I too had the impression that it was somewhat okay. Thanks for giving me another viewpoint.