Thursday, September 30, 2010

Found Items: Hotel Lanai postcard

After a month-long hiatus from the bookstore, I returned last weekend and came home with this find:



The caption on the back says: "Located in the heart of tranquil Lana'i City is the 11-room Hotel Lanai, with all its quaint and rustic charm from the plantation era."

Ha, traquil is right. Coming in at just 3,124 people at the 2000 census (nearly the whole population of the island), it's the only town on Lanai. A friend once told me that when he was staying there one night, he saw a herd of deer run right down the main street of town. If you want to get away from it all, Lanai might just be the place for you. When he got married to Melinda, Bill Gates rented the whole island for the weekend.

The postcard is not filled out to anyone. It was being used as a bookmark.

1 comment:

Patricia said...

I've been by there! I thought it looked like a very quaint hotel, and one that I would have picked to stay in if I ever came back. We were at the fancy resort where the Gates wedding took place. It was nice, but a little too fancy for me.